Black Holes As Actual Infinities

1. There was little "feigned" concern about CERN creating mini-black holes. It was a possibility, though a small one. Such black holes could be dangerous if they do not dissolve quickly enough.

2. Your comment about Laplace and black holes in the 1800s is full of holes. In 1800 stars still burned on coal and no one knew that c was the speed limit. Yes, I have heard of black holes mentioned back then, but they were not the objects that we now call black holes.

3. Two components of the Schwarzschild metric depend on [imath]\dfrac{GM}{R}[/imath]. When R goes to 0, the metric becomes undefined, ie. length and time scales become unmeasurable.

4. We have to switch to the Quantum scale long before we get to the Planck scale. Anything smaller than, say, [imath]10^{-8}[/imath] m starts showing suggestions of Quantum effects.

5. Non-sensical results: time and distance scales no longer existing. Everything is now composed of the most elementary particles, which we may not even understand. The Physics we understand about our Universe ends at the event horizon.

-Dan
☝️ (my previous post)

Gracias for keeping it simple.

1. Black holes were a possibility and still they built CERN? No safety regulations apply when stakes are that high, eh? Do you think there's a law in Europe that could find CERN liable for violating safety regulations? :)

2. I got that from Wikipedia. Didn't know that there was more to the story than the few lines I read. All I can say is that the germ of the idea was there; the difference is in the details, oui?

3. So division by \(\displaystyle 0\). Gotcha!

4. Here's what trips me up. It seems as though "what happens" depends on the scale of space and time(?). If I shrink the sun to the size of an atom then it becomes a quantum object, despite its mass still being the same (suppose), like as if the story of a movie depends on the size of the theater. 🤔

5. How about "adding" a fudge factor to the equations so they don't devolve into nonsense. Einstein did something similar with [imath]\lambda[/imath].