World of Warcraft Math Problem!

kendae

So I'm trying to write an algebraic equation for a situation I have in World of Warcraft, and I'm no math genius so I figured I'd run it by some people who would know.
I need to earn a certain amount of reputation with a faction (11400 to be exact). I need to kill ogres to do so. Each ogre that I kill gives 10 reputation automatically, and they also have a 37% chance to drop an item that I can turn in 10 at a time for 500 reputation. I want to figure out approximately how many ogres I need to kill.
Would it work if I used
10x + (.37/10)x = 11400
x being the number of ogres killed?

10 for 500 is same as 1 for 50.

10x + 50(.37x) = 11400
10x + 18.5x = 11400
28.5x = 11400
x = 11400 / 28.5 = 400 exactly !

I feel bad for them poor ogres :cry:

Hehe :]
I, for some reason, feel much better about such dull tasks when I know how many I'm going for.
Anyway, thanks so much!

Well, "exactly" might be a bit strong. It may take a few more or less. It may vary more than you know, depending on the exact distribution of the drop probability. 400 is a good "expectation", but it ignores one important thing - you may recognize a pattern or encounter a glitch that will speed it up substantially. On the other hand, Uber-Admin-Noobs may not like you and you will be banned or the drop probability may be changed. If there is a patch while you are working on it, all the rules for ogres and rep may be changed. Why don't you try frost worms, instead?

In any case, why not get out and do something useful before your pants get stuck to your chair and you never move again?