Work out the value of x for this arithmetic sequence

bushra1175

Hi guys, a little help with this question? It says that x is less than 0 which could be any number <0 ? how do I find out what x is?
1595184429428.png

Hi, do you know the definition of an arithmetic sequence?
Start from there and let's see how it goes.

Hi, do you know the definition of an arithmetic sequence?
Start from there and let's see how it goes.

Yes, an arithmetic sequence increases or decreases by a constant amount. I thought x was 2 and decreasing by 0.5 but then I realised x is supposed to be less than 0. I'm so stuck

Yes, an arithmetic sequence increases or decreases by a constant amount. I thought x was 2 and decreasing by 0.5 but then I realised x is supposed to be less than 0. I'm so stuck
Write 3 equations for the first three terms of the arithmetic sequence using the definition and then include the data given to you:
a1=x
a2=?=1/x
a3=?=1.
Solve for x, and d, and don't forget that x<0.

Using that definition, a2 - a1 = a3 - a2. Now substitute and solve.

I substituted a3=x+2d=1 and I got the below, but I'm struggling to solve as I don't know either x or d. I'm really sorry guys, but please tell me how you're working this out?
x = 1 - 2 d
d = (1 - x)\/2
We will not work this for you. Please post your work.
I get \(d=\frac{1}{x}-x\) from \(a_2=x+(1)d=\frac{1}{x}\)
Now \(a_3=x+2d=1\) solve for \(x\) (Remember that \(x<0\)).

We will not work this for you. Please post your work.
I get \(d=\frac{1}{x}-x\) from \(a_2=x+(1)d=\frac{1}{x}\)
Now \(a_3=x+2d=1\) solve for \(x\) (Remember that \(x<0\)).

I got this far, and if I rearrange to get rid of the 1/x I will end up with -x = 1 which doesn't seem right?IMG_4198.jpg

Keep going and now solve 1/x-x=1-1/x for x, at the end don't forget that x<0.

yes I tried to rearrange and I ended up with -x = 1 ( I guess I need to seriously revise rearranging equations). I checked on wolfram alfa and it says x =1 or -2 so I guess the answer is -2. Can you please let me know how to derive this from 1/x-x=1-1/x?

1/x-x=(1-x2)/x and
1-1/x=(x-1)/x. Therefore
(1-x2)/x=(x-1)/x
x2+x-2=0. Now I expect you to solve this quadratic equation for x.
What do you get? How many answers do you get?

If two quantities are equal (you know they are equal if there is an equal sign between them), then if you change their signs the new quantities will be equal.

Examples: 3=3 and -3 = -3, -7 =-7 and 7=7.

So if -x=1, then x=-1!