Word Play 1

soroban

Elite Member

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\text{It's obvious that I'm a George Carlin fan.} \\ \text{I will never be the Master Wordsmith that he was,} \\ \text{but I dabble in the strange/bizzare in our language.} \\ \\ \\ \\ Oronym\text{: an extension of the homonym} \\ \\ \text{Ice cream} \\ \text{I scream} \\ \\ \text{A notion} \\ \text{An ocean} \\ \\ \text{Toyota} \\ \text{Toy Yoda} \\ \\ \text{The stuffy nose can lead to problems.} \\ \text{The stuff he knows can lead to problems.} \\ \\ \text{The good can decay many ways.} \\ \text{The good candy came anyways.} \end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c} Eggcorns\text{: from a misunderstanding of "acorn"} \\ \\ \text{skimp milk} \\ \text{mind-bottling} \\ \text{jar-dropping} \\ \text{lame man's terms} \\ \\ \\ \\Garden\!-\!Path\;Sentences\text{: self-explanatory} \\ \\ \text{The man pushed through the door fell.} \\ \\ \text{I told the girl the cat scratched Bill would help her.} \\ \\ \text{The old dog the footsteps of the young.} \\ \\ \text{The florist sent the bouquet of flowers was very flattered.} \\ \\ \text{The cotton clothing is made of grows in Mississippi.} \\ \\ \text{Because he always jogs a mile seems a short distance to him.} \end{array}\)

These are wonderful! I could read them all night (and probably will - I've been away from the board for a while, trying to actually 'do' math!).

My favorite "eggcorn" is from a college roommate from long ago who used to say "It's a 'doggy-dog' world out there".

My mother used to bungle song lyrics all the time (of course, now there are tomes devoted to this very thing). We used to call her "Mrs. Malaprop". My favorites were "Hands on the Wall" ("Band on the Run"), and "Become a Comedian" ("Karma Chameleon").

And where do these fit? A friend from Nova Scotia used to say 'Throw me down the stairs my shirt", 'He hit that guy with a four-by-twice", and "That guy is crazy as a bag of hammers".

Hello, redsoxnation!

I'm delighted that you enjoy these!

My mother used to bungle song lyrics all the time. (Of course, now there are tomes devoted to this very thing).

These are called "Mondegreens".

The term was coined by Sylvia Wright, who, as a child, learned the song "The Bonny Earl of Murray".
. . . . Ye highlands and ye lowlands
. . . . Oh where hae you been?
. . . . Thou hae slay the Earl of Murray
. . . . And Lady Mondegreen.

Years later, she learned that the last line was "And laid him on the green."

Some famous Mondegreens:

. . Gladly, the Cross-eyed Bear
. . (Glady the cross I'd bear)

. . The girl with the colitis goes by
. . (The girl with the kaleidoscope eyes)

. . Donuts make my brown eyes blue
. . (Don't it maike my brown eyes blue)

. . Hope the city voted for you
. . (Hopelessly devoted to you)

And some Elvis Presley hits:
. . A Malt Shook Up
. . Retard Lucinda
. . Everybody in a wholesale frock ...

And where do these fit?
A friend from Nova Scotia used to say "Throw me down the stairs my shirt."

Sounds like Pennsylvania Dutch.
There was a Patti Page song in the 50s, "Throw Mama from the Train (a kiss)".

He hit that guy with a four-by-twice.

That's a new one . . . I'll have to think about it.

That guy is crazy as a bag of hammers.

Sounds like a Fulldeckism (as in "He's not playing with a full deck.")

He doesn't have both oars in the water.
His elevator doesn't go all the way to the top.
His wipers don't touch the windsheild.
A few fries short of a Happy Meal.
He couldn't empty water out of a boot with the instructions printed on the heel.

He went to Sunday school on Tuesdays.
He couldn't handle more than 1 building block.
His mother read him bedtime stories after he fell asleep.

soroban said:
Some famous Mondegreens:

The following one is more well-known to me:

Source: Wikipedia (for the following)

"Mondegreen

Many people have misheard the lyric "There's a bad moon on the rise" as "There's a bathroom on the right".
[John] Fogerty has occasionally slipped this into his live performances of the song."