Volume of a cylinder in reverse

Garth Vader

Hello,

I know that my jam tin with an inside diameter 70mm and a height of 100mm has a max volume of 384ml.
To make 8 candles I need 240ml of wax, 250mm for variance.
So using my tin, at what height will I reach 250mm of liquid wax measuring from the bottom up?
This question flummoxed ChatGPT unless I'm the dumb one, its says 0.065mm

Thank you

Hello,

I know that my jam tin with an inside diameter 70mm and a height of 100mm has a max volume of 384ml.
So using my tin, at what height will I reach 250mm of liquid wax measuring from the bottom up?

Thank you
The error is 250mm - should be 250ml (cubed).
You can also solve it yourself - cylinder volume varies linearly with height, so set up a proportion and solve for x:
100 - 384
x - 250

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you
Hi @Garth Vader

0.065mm is a length not a volume; moral: don't rely on ChatGPT for any sensible answers!
(And, as @lev888, has pointed out 👍 (since I started writing this), you seem to have entered a length (250mm) instead of a volume (250ml) when accessing the AI, so you wouldn't get what you wanted anyway.)

The volume of a cylindrical shape is the area of its base multiplied by the height (h).

It's best to work in cm (because 1 ml = 1 cubic cm)

The base of your cylindrical container is πr2 = π×3.5 = 38.485 cm2 (rounded to 3 decimal places).

So what will h be (in cm) if 38.485 × h = 250?

Hope that helps. ☺️

The error is 250mm - should be 250ml (cubed).
You can also solve it yourself - cylinder volume varies linearly with height, so set up a proportion and solve for x:
100 - 384
x - 250
Thank you very much Lev, I appreciate the help.

Hi @Garth Vader

0.065mm is a length not a volume; moral: don't rely on ChatGPT for any sensible answers!
(And, as @lev888, has pointed out 👍 (since I started writing this), you seem to have entered a length (250mm) instead of a volume (250ml) when accessing the AI, so you wouldn't get what you wanted anyway.)

The volume of a cylindrical shape is the area of its base multiplied by the height (h).

It's best to work in cm (because 1 ml = 1 cubic cm)

The base of your cylindrical container is πr2 = π×3.5 = 38.485 cm2 (rounded to 3 decimal places).

So what will h be (in cm) if 38.485 × h = 250?

Hope that helps. ☺️
Thank you Highlander, I see my error. Thanks for the assistance.