Type II error in statistics

Agent Smith

In statistical significance test we can reduce the probability of a type II error (failing to reject a false null hypothesis) if we increase the sample size. How does that work?

In statistical significance test we can reduce the probability of a type II error (failing to reject a false null hypothesis) if we increase the sample size. How does that work?
What is the criterion for rejecting or accepting a hypothesis?

What parameter is tested to perform the operation (acceptance or rejection)? What is the expression of that criterion? How does that depend on sample size?

What is the criterion for rejecting or accepting a hypothesis?

What parameter is tested to perform the operation (acceptance or rejection)? What is the expression of that criterion? How does that depend on sample size?
I think all that you ask for is part of the assumptions we have to make for a significance test. Anyway, we have a significance level (\(\displaystyle \alpha\)) against which we compare a p value that we have to compute. I haven't reached the part where we actually compute the p value. I'm just learning the basics of the 2 types of statistical errors. For type II it says a large sample size will reduce the probability of type II errors. I don't know why.

This video might help you to know how!

Click here.

And also this link: scroll down to How to reduce the probability of Type II errors.

I think all that you ask for is part of the assumptions we have to make for a significance test. Anyway, we have a significance level (\(\displaystyle \alpha\)) against which we compare a p value that we have to compute. I haven't reached the part where we actually compute the p value. I'm just learning the basics of the 2 types of statistical errors. For type II it says a large sample size will reduce the probability of type II errors. I don't know why.
Be patient Agent Smith. When you solve at least 10 problems in type II error, you will probably know the reason. By the way, this is not an [imath]\infty[/imath] problem, so I guess that you will figure out the reason by the end of the chapter or sooner.

Last edited: