Trig & geometry question

jake_cho07

The triangle is equilateral, and the distance between Bermuda and the British Virgin is 1550km.
Solve f and g plz
Screenshot 2024-06-24 at 3.49.45 pm.png2f,g.jpeg

The triangle is equilateral, and the distance between Bermuda and the British Virgin is 1550km.
Solve f and g plz
View attachment 38242View attachment 38243
First, please read

We don't just solve problems for you; we try to help you figure it out, and to do that, we need to know what help you need.

As for the problem, please show us more; you've left out a lot. Do they actually tell you the triangle is (exactly) equilateral? Do they give the coordinates of the third vertex? Do they give the lengths of the sides?

Is the context one in which we are expected to know about spherical trigonometry (or are we to suppose that UFO hunters believe in a flat earth?)

In part (f), it seems like you need to cover the triangle with overlapping circles (each having radius 775). How many radars are available? Are there any restrictions on where the radars may be placed?

I would like to see the entire exercise statement. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]

In part (f), it seems like you need to cover the triangle with overlapping circles (each having radius 775). How many radars are available? Are there any restrictions on where the radars may be placed?

I would like to see the entire exercise statement. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]
maximum of 3 radars and no there are no restrictions to where the radar should be

First, please read

We don't just solve problems for you; we try to help you figure it out, and to do that, we need to know what help you need.

As for the problem, please show us more; you've left out a lot. Do they actually tell you the triangle is (exactly) equilateral? Do they give the coordinates of the third vertex? Do they give the lengths of the sides?

Is the context one in which we are expected to know about spherical trigonometry (or are we to suppose that UFO hunters believe in a flat earth?)
1st of all, I actually solved it eventually, but to answer ur question, the question states that the triangle is equilateral, and tells u to calculate the 3rd vertex's coordinates(25N, 77W). Also, the length of the side is stated as 1550km, and we are supposed to calculate this as if it were a flat Earth.

1st of all, I actually solved it eventually, but to answer ur question, the question states that the triangle is equilateral, and tells u to calculate the 3rd vertex's coordinates(25N, 77W). Also, the length of the side is stated as 1550km, and we are supposed to calculate this as if it were a flat Earth.
Thanks for the follow-up. If you have future questions, be sure to show the entire problem, and your attempt, and you can expect actual help.

For what it's worth, I just checked with a distance calculator, and on a spherical model of the earth the distance from 25N 77W to 32N 65W is 1402.789 km; on the ellipsoidal earth it's 1406.319 km. So it's important that they said to pretend the coordinates are distances on a plane. (I do get the coordinates you give, on a plane.)

Question (f) is interestingly ambiguous, in the sense that there will be many locations you could choose; presumably any valid answer would be considered correct. On the other hand, since we still haven't seen the entire problem, it seems odd that (g) seems to imply that for part (f) the radars have to be on land, which doesn't give so much freedom.

For (g), there is one best answer, which I'll trust you found.