Swapping major and minor

warwick

Currently, I'm a physics major/math minor. Starting in the spring, I'm going to swap those (math major/physics minor). My current classical mechanics course with the associate chairman of the physics department is brutal. He's used to teaching at the graduate level. As one student put it, "he's a badass and knows he's a badass." His class is the hardest I've ever taken. I realized I don't like solving intricate mechanics problems using all kinds of math tricks. I do, however, like the logic behind mathematics and deriving/proving things. My vector analysis professor was exceptional at deriving things from first principles off the top of his head. At any rate, at the end of this semester I will have under my belt in total Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, ODE, Vector Analysis, Modern Physics I and II, and Classical Mechanics. In the spring, I'll be taking Probability and Thermal Physics. I put off Abstract Algebra and Intermediate Analysis since I have zero proof skills. I want to develop them before I take Abstract and Intermediate next fall.

So, my question is, what books do you recommend, or any lecture notes I can download, for that end? And let me be clear, I understand physics is difficult and pure math is equally as difficult. Part of my reason of switching is so I can graduate spring 2012. The math program at my school is much larger than the physics program, so the classes are more plentiful and compatible with my work schedule.

Tell me if I understand your question correctly. I think that you're asking for a book or notes on theoretical material that would give an introduction to writing proofs?

If you had a decent Linear Algebra course, then you probably had a course which is 50% computational and 50% theoretical. In many universities this course serves as an introductory theoretical course. If you had trouble with the theoretical component of this course, then as a first step I would review the theorems and proofs from what you learned in Linear Algebra.

Some schools do have an introduction to proofs course, but I'm not aware of a really good book in this area. If anyone else is, please reply - I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I do have a pretty nice set of Group Theory lecture notes that I designed for an Abstract Algebra course I taught. It's fairly streamlined and might serve decently as the next stepping stone for you. It might be too advanced (depending on your current ability level), but if you want to check it out I'd be happy to send you the first topic or 2 so you can try it out (and I'd be happy to answer some questions on the notes in this forum). I have both student and instructor notes together with a few hw problems for each section with solutions (the documents are word files).

DrSteve said:
Tell me if I understand your question correctly. I think that you're asking for a book or notes on theoretical material that would give an introduction to writing proofs?

If you had a decent Linear Algebra course, then you probably had a course which is 50% computational and 50% theoretical. In many universities this course serves as an introductory theoretical course. If you had trouble with the theoretical component of this course, then as a first step I would review the theorems and proofs from what you learned in Linear Algebra.

Some schools do have an introduction to proofs course, but I'm not aware of a really good book in this area. If anyone else is, please reply - I'd be interested in hearing about it.

I do have a pretty nice set of Group Theory lecture notes that I designed for an Abstract Algebra course I taught. It's fairly streamlined and might serve decently as the next stepping stone for you. It might be too advanced (depending on your current ability level), but if you want to check it out I'd be happy to send you the first topic or 2 so you can try it out (and I'd be happy to answer some questions on the notes in this forum). I have both student and instructor notes together with a few hw problems for each section with solutions (the documents are word files).

DrSteve,

Thanks for the reply. Yes. You understand my question correctly. I took linear algebra two years ago. We did do computational and theoretical work. I remember the professor wanting to do more proofs and theory, though. Understanding the theory is not always the hard part. The hard part is construing it mathematically. The hardest part of math in my opinion is the notation and getting used to it. Unfortunately, a dog peed on my linear algebra book. I have yet to replace it. Sure, I'd be glad to look at the notes. Here is a list of my university's math courses. It looks like they have some kind of introductory proofs course, but I'm not sure how appropriate it would be for me.

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/col ... /index.php

I suspect that the proofs course might be too basic given that calculus (or even precalculus) is not a prerequisite.

If you pm me your e-mail address I'll send you the first section from my group theory notes.

Denis said:
warwick said:
Unfortunately, a dog peed on my linear algebra book.
What was your algebra book doing on the floor?

It wasn't. It and a few other books were in some boxes that were on the floor. I had just moved into a new house/room, so I was still getting situated. One of my roommate's ex-girlfriends had some dogs over here that weren't being watched/in their cages, so one of them urinated on the boxes - ruined several good books.

DrSteve said:
I suspect that the proofs course might be too basic given that calculus (or even precalculus) is not a prerequisite.

If you pm me your e-mail address I'll send you the first section from my group theory notes.

That was my guess. I think 3330 and 3333 will probably be my hardest classes. I'll be taking Probability and Thermal Physics in the spring and as mentioned Abstract Algebra and Intermediate Analysis next fall. I'll also at some point have to take Advanced Linear Algebra I and II, Survey of Undergraduate Math, and a few electives. I haven't pinned down the electives yet besides Probability. I need one 4000-level course, though.