Stuck on chapter polynomial and rational inequalities

bladeren

Can someone explain to me how to do polynomial and rational inequalities? Im stuck in the book algebra 1 for dummies workbook. Are there better books then dummies?

Can someone explain to me how to do polynomial and rational inequalities? Im stuck in the book algebra 1 for dummies workbook. Are there better books then dummies?
Start with polynomials before moving to rational functions.
Where are you stuck in your book?
Do you have a problem with specific definition, theorem or statement?
Can you solve [imath]x^2-1 \leq 0[/imath] ?

Can someone explain to me how to do polynomial and rational inequalities?
Hello. Please follow the posting guidelines and show us a specific exercise. Post your work on how far you get, and try to explain why you're stuck.

Yes, ican solve that one. And place it on the number line. Im stuck on intervals, critical numbers, and why must i use the number line?

Here is an online textbook section on the topic:

You may want to consider this or similar online resources as part of your study. Here is another that I have long recommended:

Yes, ican solve that one. And place it on the number line. Im stuck on intervals, critical numbers, and why must i use the number line?
Can you please post your solution as my students get this problem wrong.

why must i use the number line?
Hi bladeren. Are you asking about the form of your answers? That is, expressing intervals by writing square brackets and/or parentheses on a labeled number line sketch? Or, are you asking about using a number line to organize your work?

In the former case, the only reason you "must" write an answer that way is when you're instructed to. Otherwise, you may use set builder notation or a compound inequality.

In the latter case, you're probably free to organize your work in some other way (eg: a chart), as long as it's clear. I think the number line serves as a good visual reference because it eliminates the need to manipulate a lot of information in your head at once.

If you're asking about some other use, please clarify. Cheers :)
[imath]\;[/imath]

You have a little mistakes. The critical numbers are [imath]-1[/imath] and [imath]1[/imath] and you want to know what are the signs between them.

[imath](-2 - 1)(-2 + 1) = +[/imath]
[imath](0 - 1)(0 + 1) = -[/imath]
[imath](2 - 1)(2 + 1) = +[/imath]

What does this tell you if we need to satisfy the condition [imath](x - 1)(x + 1) \leq 0[/imath]?

(0−1)(0+1)=− is less then zero. What can i do with it.... I must study this more..

(0−1)(0+1)=− is less then zero. What can i do with it.... I must study this more..
This means [imath]x[/imath] is between [imath]-1[/imath] and [imath]1[/imath]. Therefore the domain of [imath]x[/imath] is:

[imath]-1 \leq x \leq 1[/imath]

Aha and that is what the dummies book (algebra 1 dummies workbook) dont really good explain to me. I need better workbooks to learn algebra....

Aha and that is what the dummies book (algebra 1 dummies workbook) dont really good explain to me. I need better workbooks to learn algebra....
It's not about the book is good or bad, it's about this example [imath]x^2 - 1 \leq 0[/imath] which is basically difficult even for students who are good at mathematics because it is tricky! Professor blamocur has given you this example because he knows 99% of the students will solve it wrong. Professor Steven emphasized on it too because his students have already solved it wrong!

If you really understood this example, you can solve all inequality questions safely now because this was the most difficult one! (At least for me.)

The alternative form for [imath]x^2 - 1 \leq 0[/imath] is:

[imath]|x| \leq 1[/imath]

And remember this absolute value, it will always make your life difficult at math even at the highest level of mathematics.

Last edited:
View attachment 38318

I dont understand step 5. Why doesnt work between -4 and 1?
You tried the number [imath]x = -3[/imath], and found that the factor [imath](x+4)[/imath] is positive and the factor [imath](x-1)[/imath] is negative, so their product is negative:

1720617351292.png

(You could also have found directly that [imath](-3)^2+3(-3)-4=0-9-4=-4[/imath] is negative, though that takes more work.)

Since the sign of the expression can only change at critical points, this shows that it will be negative throughout the interval (-4,1). Therefore, the inequality (which says it's positive) is not true in that interval. It is true in the other two intervals.