Solve Equation for word problem

jbn

Constructing a box with no top. An open box is formed by cutting squares from the corners of a regular piece of cardboard and folding up the flaps. What size corner squares should be cut to yield a box with a volume of 125 inches cubed?

The rectangle is 15 inches high and the square side is 12 inches.

The answers are .94 and 3.78 but I can't get those answers. Please help me. Thanks.

jbn said:
Constructing a box with no top. An open box is formed by cutting squares from the corners of a regular piece of cardboard and folding up the flaps. What size corner squares should be cut to yield a box with a volume of 125 inches cubed?

The rectangle is 15 inches high and the square side is 12 inches.

The answers are .94 and 3.78 but I can't get those answers. Please help me. Thanks.

Please share with us your work/thoughts - how did you get to a different answer - so that we know where to begin to help you.

I don't know how to get those answers. They are listed as the answers to the problem in the back of the book. I would like to understand how they get those answers.

jbn said:
I don't know how to get those answers. They are listed as the answers to the problem in the back of the book. I would like to understand how they get those answers.

Your textbook/classnotes did not show a problem like this?

To start:

Draw a sketch of a rectangle with sides 12 and 15.

Cut corners X by X squares.

Now if you fold along the dotted lines - You will get a open-top box
Code:
                   |                                |
                   |_______ ................._______|
                           |                |           
                           |                |       
                           |________________|

Then tell us about the size of the box you are going to get.