show the mapping is a patch

logistic_guy

here is the question

\(\displaystyle \bold{Z}(x,y) = (x,xy,y)\).
Show the mapping \(\displaystyle \bold{Z}: \bold{R^2} \rightarrow \bold{R^3}\) is a patch.

Definition

the definition don't say anything about regularity

to solve this i check first if \(\displaystyle \bold{Z}\) is injective then to check the regularity condition that is the Jacobian matrix have full rank. if i solve the Jacobian matrix how to know it have full rank?

I'm not really up on this material. Having said that, the definition of Patch states that you need to show that U = R2 is an open subset of R2. You also need to also show that the mapping Z is a differentiable mapping (yes, you show that using the Jacobian matrix)

Also, please try not to putts under arithmetic--arithmetic means pre-algebra.

I'm not really up on this material. Having said that, the definition of Patch states that you need to show that U = R2 is an open subset of R2. You also need to also show that the mapping Z is a differentiable mapping (yes, you show that using the Jacobian matrix)

Also, please try not to putts under arithmetic--arithmetic means pre-algebra.
\(\displaystyle J = \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial x}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \\ \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & y & 0 \\ 0 & x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\)

how to know if this matrix have full rank or don't?

\(\displaystyle J = \begin{bmatrix}\frac{\partial x}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \\ \frac{\partial x}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & y & 0 \\ 0 & x & 1 \end{bmatrix}\)

how to know if this matrix have full rank or don't?
...by showing that it has two independent columns.