Salary Calc Help

rayw

If $43,567 is someone's salary, but they work 0.8 (80%) of their fulltime hours, what would their salary be if they worked a full working week?

I've always had trouble with percentages, and I'm looking for, A) a formula that I can use in Excel to calculate this for a number of employees. B) I'd like to know how best to think about this, so as to come up with said elusive formula myself please.

If [imath]x[/imath] is the salary for a full working week then for 0.8 of that the salary [imath]0.8\times x[/imath]. Now you have [imath]0.8 x = 43567[/imath] -- what can be said of [imath]x[/imath]?

If [imath]x[/imath] is the salary for a full working week then for 0.8 of that the salary [imath]0.8\times x[/imath]. Now you have [imath]0.8 x = 43567[/imath] -- what can be said of [imath]x[/imath]?
Sorry, I'm having trouble even parsing that first sentence.

Hi rayw. The full-time salary is unknown

We know that 80% of this unknown is 43567

Let symbol x represent the unknown, full-time salary

Now that we have a symbol for the amount we're trying to find, 80% of that amount may be expressed as 0.8x

So, we can write an equation: 0.8x = 43567

In words, that equation says, "80 percent of the unknown, full-time salary is 43567"

Do you know how to solve the equation 0.8x = 43567 for x?
[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi rayw. The full-time salary is unknown

We know that 80% of this unknown is 43567

Let symbol x represent the unknown, full-time salary

Now that we have a symbol for the amount we're trying to find, 80% of that amount may be expressed as 0.8x

So, we can write an equation: 0.8x = 43567

In words, that equation says, "80 percent of the unknown, full-time salary is 43567"

Do you know how to solve the equation 0.8x = 43567 for x?
[imath]\;[/imath]
Thanks for this.

I think I would divide 43567 by 80, to find one percent of 43567. Then I could multiply that by one hundred to find the full time salary. Is that on the right track?

43567 / 80 = 544.5

544.5 x 100 = 54,468

So the formula would be:

full salary = 100 x (43567 / (0.8 x 100))

I would divide 43567 by 80, to find one percent of 43567. Then I could multiply [the result] by one hundred … Is that on the right track?
Hi Ray. Yes, division is the way to go, but there's no need to multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by 100. Those 100s will simply cancel without accomplishing anything. Just divide by the 80% as it's written in the equation (shown after the information below). That solves for our unknown directly (because we defined x as such), without having to first find 1%, followed by doing more math.

Here's a quick review. The word 'percent' is like the words 'dozen', 'pair', 'score', 'gross', 'triple'. It refers to a specific quantity of stuff.

Dozen means 12 of something. Gross means 144 of something. One percent means a hundredth of something.

1% = 1/100

80% = 80/100

80/100 simplifies to 8/10

The decimal form of 8/10 is 0.8

Therefore, we have four common ways to express a percent (shown in bold). In general, we use either the reduced fraction form or the decimal form when doing arithmetic. We don't do arithmetic with the percent-sign form. Most people use the decimal form of a percent, when working with other decimal quantities (like dollars and cents). That's why the 80% in our equation is written in decimal form.

Therefore, to solve the equation 0.8x = 43567 for the unknown dollar amount, we simply divide each side by 0.8:

0.8x = 43567
x = 43567/0.8
x = 54458.75

43567 / 80 = 544.5

544.5 x 100 = 54,468
The result in red is not accurate; you chopped off three of the decimal digits. (That's called 'truncation', not 'rounding'.) And, I assume the bold 6 is a typo. We don't want that red result rounded or truncated. Rounding or truncating numbers in our work often leads to "rounding error" at the finish line. So, here's another general arithmetic rule: Do not round or truncate intermediate results. When I know that I'm going to round my final answer to two decimal places, then I retain four decimal places throughout my work and wait until the last step to round to two places.

The full-time salary is $54,458.75 :)
[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi Ray. Yes, division is the way to go, but there's no need to multiply the top and bottom of the fraction by 100. Those 100s will simply cancel without accomplishing anything. Just divide by the 80% as it's written in the equation (shown after the information below). That solves for our unknown directly (because we defined x as such), without having to first find 1%, followed by doing more math.

Here's a quick review. The word 'percent' is like the words 'dozen', 'pair', 'score', 'gross', 'triple'. It refers to a specific quantity of stuff.

Dozen means 12 of something. Gross means 144 of something. One percent means a hundredth of something.

1% = 1/100

80% = 80/100

80/100 simplifies to 8/10

The decimal form of 8/10 is 0.8

Therefore, we have four common ways to express a percent (shown in bold). In general, we use either the reduced fraction form or the decimal form when doing arithmetic. We don't do arithmetic with the percent-sign form. Most people use the decimal form of a percent, when working with other decimal quantities (like dollars and cents). That's why the 80% in our equation is written in decimal form.

Therefore, to solve the equation 0.8x = 43567 for the unknown dollar amount, we simply divide each side by 0.8:

0.8x = 43567
x = 43567/0.8
x = 54458.75

The result in red is not accurate; you chopped off three of the decimal digits. (That's called 'truncation', not 'rounding'.) And, I assume the bold 6 is a typo. We don't want that red result rounded or truncated. Rounding or truncating numbers in our work often leads to "rounding error" at the finish line. So, here's another general arithmetic rule: Do not round or truncate intermediate results. When I know that I'm going to round my final answer to two decimal places, then I retain four decimal places throughout my work and wait until the last step to round to two places.

The full-time salary is $54,458.75 :)
[imath]\;[/imath]
I really like that, and understand it too :)

Thanks also for the note on truncation/rounding.

Very many thanks.

You're welcome. I noticed that I misspoke, below.

Do not round or truncate intermediate results
We do round intermediate results, but what I ought to have said is, "Do not round intermediate results too closely". Retain enough digits to avoid round-off error at the end. Cheers
[imath]\;[/imath]

If $43,567 is someone's salary, but they work 0.8 (80%) of their fulltime hours, what would their salary be if they worked a full working week?

I've always had trouble with percentages, and I'm looking for, A) a formula that I can use in Excel to calculate this for a number of employees. B) I'd like to know how best to think about this, so as to come up with said elusive formula myself please.
To find the full-time salary, you need to determine what 100% of their salary would be if they currently make $43,567 for working 80% of the time.

Here’s how you can calculate it:

1. Let’s call the full-time salary X.
2. 80% of X is $43,567.
3. To find X, we can set up the equation: 0.8 * X = $43,567.
4. Solving for X, divide both sides by 0.8: X = $43,567 / 0.8.
5. X = $54,458.75.

So, their full-time salary would be $54,458.75.

I am not sure that the answer other got is correct.
So I have some questions for the OP.

1) If $43,567 is someone's salary, but they work 0.8 (80%) of their fulltime hours. Is $43,567 what they would earn if they worked full time? Or is $43,567 what they earn working only 80% full time.

2) what would their salary be if they worked a full working week? I doubt that the person makes $43,567 per week, although this is possible. So you need to state if the $43,567 is for a week, two weeks, an entire year or maybe some other period of time.

Only then can an answer be confirmed.