Roster Method & Set-builder Notation

mathdad

Can someone explain the basic difference between the Roster Method and Set-builder Notation? See picture.

Attachments

• 20240831_125829.jpg
    20240831_125829.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Roster notation gives a list; set-builder notation gives a description.

In the digits example, let x = digits 0 to 9.
We denote using set-builder notation this way:

D = {x | x is digit 0 to 9}

You say?

In the digits example, let x = digits 0 to 9.
We denote using set-builder notation this way:

D = {x | x is digit 0 to 9}

You say?
It can be valid to just state the description (that is, the condition that must be satisfied) in a sentence like that; and in fact, that is often done at an elementary level where students aren't ready for detailed notation. So that's not a wrong answer.

But the site I directed you to has an example much like this, that uses more symbolism and looks more "grown-up". Can you find that? (Hint: They use the word "integer".) That's the example I hoped you'd follow.

It can be valid to just state the description (that is, the condition that must be satisfied) in a sentence like that; and in fact, that is often done at an elementary level where students aren't ready for detailed notation. So that's not a wrong answer.

But the site I directed you to has an example much like this, that uses more symbolism and looks more "grown-up". Can you find that? (Hint: They use the word "integer".) That's the example I hoped you'd follow.
You are talking the Math is Fun site. I'm familiar with that site. I will check out what they have to say about sets.