Real-life Math Application of Incline Math

20GT

Hi all, my treadmill doesn't have an incline, so I'm tiring to build a ramp

If the gradient or treadmill grade equating to incline percentages is a measurement of the height distance for every 100-horizontal distance. e.g. A one-in-100 gradient = 1%, and a rise of 15 meters for every 100 meters is a 15% grade.

The average treadmill is 6 to 7 feet
I'm getting my daughter to measure the one ill be using.

I'm 60 and haven't done any math in along time, actually am horrible with word problems.
Any help would be appreciated.

If the gradient or treadmill grade equating to incline percentages is a measurement of the height distance for every 100-horizontal distance. e.g. A one-in-100 gradient = 1%, and a rise of 15 meters for every 100 meters is a 15% grade.

I'm 60 and haven't done any math in along time, actually am horrible with word problems.
Welcome to the forum.
From reading your post, I do not see a question. What do you need help with?
Secondly, it is unclear on the meaning of "... tiring to build a ramp".
Third, is this your daughter's homework or are you trying to build a real-life incline?
Lastly, how is the average treadmill 6 to 7 feet related to your question?

Welcome to the forum.
From reading your post, I do not see a question. What do you need help with?
Secondly, it is unclear on the meaning of "... tiring to build a ramp".
Third, is this your daughter's homework or are you trying to build a real-life incline?
Lastly, how is the average treadmill 6 to 7 feet related to your question?
From the original post and thread title it seems obvious to me that @20GT is planning to build a real life ramp that a treadmill will be placed on (and this is not a homework question). I read "tiring to build a ramp" as "trying to build a ramp". The ramp needs to hold a treadmill that is between 6 and 7 feet long.

I agree that there is no question.

From the information given above then I'm 90% sure that the intended question might be:-

> By what height must one end of a flat treadmill be raised in order to achieve a gradient of p%. The length of the treadmill is L

If this is the question then the exact answer would be
[math]L\sin\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{p}{100}\right)\right)[/math]
For example if p=15% and L=7 feet then raise one end by approx 1.038 feet

@20GT please write back to verify :)

NOTE: there are risks involved here. If the ramp collapses it could hurt someone or damage your treadmill/ house/ etc. The incline will put forces on the treadmill that it wasn't designed for. Therefore I strongly recommend that you buy a treadmill with a gradient feature already built in. I assume no responsibility or liability for any damage caused by any actions that you take based on the information in this post.

I strongly recommend that you buy a treadmill
I second that suggestion - you could also join local YMCA or JCC or some such community club. You can senior discount in most of the community clubs. Taking a fall with that contraption on top of you - can create severe damage.....