Rabbit chase

Yes, I knew that the answer is simple in the case of 4 chasers, but didn't want to take to time to work out the n=3 case.

It looks like they didn't pay attention to the difference.
Does Wikipedia has a typo?

It says that time [imath]\displaystyle = \frac{1}{1-\cos\frac{2\pi}{n}}[/imath] when actually this is the distance!

I posted this problem because the answer in the book is wrong :

View attachment 38664
Is the correct answer:

[imath]\displaystyle d_{3} = \frac{1}{1-\cos\frac{2\pi}{3}} = \frac{2}{3}[/imath]

?

Of course this distance is based on a unit side, so with a side of [imath]100[/imath] yards, the distance should be:

[imath]\displaystyle d = \frac{2}{3}100 = \frac{200}{3} \approx 66.67 \ \text{yards}[/imath]

Last edited:

It says that time [imath]\displaystyle = \frac{1}{1-\cos\frac{2\pi}{n}}[/imath] when actually this is the distance!
Did you fail to read carefully what they said?

The most common version has the mice starting at the corners of a unit square, moving at unit speed.​

So time and distance are equivalent in their formulation. In one unit of time, they move one unit of distance.

Did you fail to read carefully what they said?

The most common version has the mice starting at the corners of a unit square, moving at unit speed.​

So time and distance are equivalent in their formulation. In one unit of time, they move one unit of distance.
You are right.

🤦‍♂️

Is the correct answer:

[imath]\displaystyle d_{3} = \frac{1}{1-\cos\frac{2\pi}{3}} = \frac{2}{3}[/imath]

?

Of course this distance is based on a unit side, so with a side of [imath]100[/imath] yards, the distance should be:

[imath]\displaystyle d = \frac{2}{3}100 = \frac{200}{3} \approx 66.67 \ \text{yards}[/imath]

The book, published in 1971, predates Wikipedia by three decades :) I got 2/3 for the answer too.

Does Wikipedia have a typo?
You are awesome professor lookagain. Thanks a lot for correcting my grammar. My cat has jumped on my keyboard and distracted me for 1 second while I was about to write "have", then my brain saw Wikipedia and wrote "has" automatically.

Cats should be caged!

🐈🐈‍⬛