QUICK QUESTION Word PROBLEMsss

Climber77

1)The ratio of male students to female students at a certain university is 7 to 5. If there is a total of 15,900 students, find the number of male and the number of female students.
? males
? females

2) 6x-1 - 3x+2 =-4
....5 .......10

Those are fractions above FYI :D thanks so much i can't wait to hear from anyone!!

Re: a WORD PROBLEM and one number prob. HELP pleaaseee!!!

Climber77 said:
1)The ratio of male students to female students at a certain university is 7 to 5. If there is a total of 15,900 students, find the number of male and the number of female students.
? males
? females

2) 6x-1 - 3x+2 =-4
....5 .......10

Those are fractions above FYI :D thanks so much i can't wait to hear from anyone!!

Please show us your work, indicating exactly where you are stuck - so that we know where to begin to help you

for the word problem i need help setting it up, i've tried a few timse and can't seem to even figure out how to find my equation. oncei have my eqation i can figure it out but i just need help generating that.

2) 6x-1 - 3x+2 =-4 as for this problem here are my steps i multiplied both sides by ten to get rid of the fractions leaving me with
....5 .......10

12x-2-3x+2=-40 the twos cancel eachother out leaving me with
9x=-40
x=-40/9

but that is incorrect so where am i messing up this process?

Climber77 said:
… for the word problem … i've tried a few [times] … Subhotosh asked you to show us what you've tried. Is your work a secret? 8-)

It's very basic. Do you know that you're looking for two unknown numbers? Did you pick variable names to represent them?

Do you know the definition of the noun "ratio"? There are different ways to write ratios: "4 to 5" OR 4:5 OR 4/5.

Can you relate that definition to the phrases "males to females" "are" "7 to 5" ? (Hint: in math, conjugations of the verb "to be" often mean "equals".)

Do you have any experience solving a system of two equations?

Once we learn something about what your situation is with this exercise, we'll be able to determine where to begin helping you.

2) 6x-1 - (3x+2) =-4 as for this problem here are my steps i multiplied both sides by ten to get rid of the fractions leaving me with
....5 .......10

Note the red parentheses that I inserted above. Both the 3x and the 2 are being subtracted because they are both part of a single ratio (namely, the numerator).

Just because we cancel the denominator, we do not separate the 3x from the 2, with respect to the subtraction, by removing the grouping symbols.

12x - 2 - (3x + 2) = -40

Journey onward!

thank you! i ended up figure them out a little bit sooner before you responded but thank you for responding!!! take care and keep counting

Climber77 said:
for the word problem i need help setting it up, i've tried a few timse and can't seem to even figure out how to find my equation. oncei have my eqation i can figure it out but i just need help generating that.
Start with naming variables:

Number of Male = M

Number of females = F

Total student = M + F

Now continue .. use the hints Mark provided you about ratio...

2) 6x-1 - 3x+2 =-4 as for this problem here are my steps i multiplied both sides by ten to get rid of the fractions leaving me with
....5 .......10

12x-2-3x-2=-40

there is your problem

the twos cancel eachother out leaving me with
9x=-40
x=-40/9

but that is incorrect so where am i messing up this process?