Number Game

mathdad

See attachment for a discussion math question posted by Michael Sullivan at the end of one of the early review sections of the college algebra textbook. It is a question for for classroom discussion between teacher and students or among students in little study groups.

Attachments

• 20240905_104536.jpg
    20240905_104536.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 6
See attachment for a discussion math question posted by Michael Sullivan at the end of one of the early review sections of the college algebra textbook. It is a question for for classroom discussion between teacher and students or among students in little study groups.
Why are you posting this?

-Dan

I enjoy math discussion far more than, here is the answer next question, please.
So, discuss it! Don't just demand that others discuss it, while you sit back and watch. That's not how you learn (and it's not what this question is there for).

You know we want to you share your thoughts first. That's how tutoring works.

So, discuss it! Don't just demand that others discuss it, while you sit back and watch. That's not how you learn (and it's not what this question is there for).

You know we want to you share your thoughts first. That's how tutoring works.
I cannot think of a number between 1 and 10 whose square also lies between 1 and 10. The number is not 3 because 3 is not greater than pi. I will quickly say that no such number lies between 1 and 10.

I cannot think of a number between 1 and 10 whose square also lies between 1 and 10. The number is not 3 because 3 is not greater than pi. I will quickly say that no such number lies between 1 and 10.
This is what you should have said in the initial post, asking a specific question about the problem.

Read the question again:

1725630810206.png

What is a "number"? Does it say "whole number"? No. Does the fact that it says to round to two decimal places make it clear that you should consider non-integers in the interval? Yes.

If the square of x is less than 10, what does that tell you about x itself?

Now think some more. It's actually a fun problem.

This is what you should have said in the initial post, asking a specific question about the problem.

Read the question again:

View attachment 38569

What is a "number"? Does it say "whole number"? No. Does the fact that it says to round to two decimal places make it clear that you should consider non-integers in the interval? Yes.

If the square of x is less than 10, what does that tell you about x itself?

Now think some more. It's actually a fun problem.

The number is between 1 and 10. This I read in the problem.

The square of the number I must find is rational and between 1 and 10.

Does this mean the number itself must be the square root of a number between 1 and 10? You say?

It is larger than pi. If I truncate pi, I end up with 3.14. Yes?

Originally, I said that it could not be 3.
What about a number slightly larger than 3?

I started playing around using my calculator. I think the number is 3.16.

Here’s why I selected 3.16 after several tries:

It’s between 1 and 10. This I know.

Its square (3.16)^2 is about 9.99, which is between 1 and 10.
It is sightly larger than my truncated result for pi (3.14).

I will bravely say that the "mystery" number is 3.16.

You say?

I will bravely say that the "mystery" number is 3.16.
Let's check it:
  • Is it between 1 and 10? Yes
  • Is its square rational? Yes, it's 9.9856.
  • Is its square between 1 and 10? Yes.
  • Is it greater than pi? Yes, 3.16 > 3.14159... (But you can't just compare it to 3.14; 3.141 is greater than that but less than pi.)
So it is a valid answer.

I would have done something like this:
  • The number has to be between pi = 3.14159... and sqrt(10) = 3.16227..., so if it is a multiple of 0.01, it can be either 3.15 or 3.16.
  • So either of those can be the answer; in fact, the number itself could be the square root of any rational number between pi^2 and 10 (that is, between 9.8696... and 10. It doesn't say the number itself has to be rational, or a multiple of 0.01.)
If I took your approach (which in a sense is quicker), I might just round pi up to 3.15, and find that it works. That's perfectly sufficient.

Let's check it:
  • Is it between 1 and 10? Yes
  • Is its square rational? Yes, it's 9.9856.
  • Is its square between 1 and 10? Yes.
  • Is it greater than pi? Yes, 3.16 > 3.14159... (But you can't just compare it to 3.14; 3.141 is greater than that but less than pi.)
So it is a valid answer.

I would have done something like this:
  • The number has to be between pi = 3.14159... and sqrt(10) = 3.16227..., so if it is a multiple of 0.01, it can be either 3.15 or 3.16.
  • So either of those can be the answer; in fact, the number itself could be the square root of any rational number between pi^2 and 10 (that is, between 9.8696... and 10. It doesn't say the number itself has to be rational, or a multiple of 0.01.)
If I took your approach (which in a sense is quicker), I might just round pi up to 3.15, and find that it works. That's perfectly sufficient.
Very good. I always look for interesting textbook problems in addition to my regular posts.

Why are you posting this?

-Dan

So, why are any of you continuing to reply and/or enable this troll!? I continue to report him and there to see
if it will get him banned..
I want results. My disappointment with the math helpers in tolerating the troll is huge.

So, why are any of you continuing to reply and/or enable this troll!? I continue to report him and there to see
if it will get him banned..
I want results. My disappointment with the math helpers in tolerating the troll is huge.
GFY!!!!!