Matrices and Gaussian Method

Jaskaran

Hi all, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out using the Gaussia method!

Write the agumented matrix for the system

\(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}3x + 2y - 5z = 17 \\ 2x - 3y +2z = -8 \\ 4x +5y - 3z = 20 \end{bmatrix}\)

I know the variables, but it's almost impractical to convert \(\displaystyle R_1_1\) into a 1 without converting the rest into fractions. :!:

Any help?

Also, how do I find the equation of a parabola whose vertex is the point (2,5) and whose y-intercept is the point (0,1)? My book simply does not have such example!

Thank you,

Jaskaran.

Jaskaran said:
Hi all, I have a problem that I can't seem to figure out using the Gaussia method!

\(\displaystyle \begin{bmatrix}3x + 2y - 5z = 17 \\ 2x - 3y +2z = -8 \\ 4x +5y - 3z = 20 \end{bmatrix}\)

I know the variables, but it's almost impractical to convert \(\displaystyle R_1_1\) into a 1 without converting the rest into fractions. <<< So what is the problem with that??!! :!:

Any help?

Also, how do I find the equation of a parabola whose vertex is the point (2,5) and whose y-intercept is the point (0,1)? My book simply does not have such example!

What is the general equation of a parabola whose vertex is at (h,k)?

Thank you,

Jaskaran.

... it's almost impractical ... without ... fractions

Do you need help with fractions?

On the second exercise, you could substitute the xy-coordinates of three known points on the parabola into the standard quadratic equation (replacing zero with y, as shown).

y = ax^2 + bx + c

Solve the resulting system of three equations for a, b, and c.

(Hint: use symmetry about the line x = 2 to find the third point.)

The generation equation for a parabola whose vertex is (h,k) is \(\displaystyle f(x)=af(x-h)+k\)

I know what h and k are, so I get \(\displaystyle f(x)=af(x-2)+5\)

My question is, is the y intercept the y-value in this case? So would I get \(\displaystyle 1 = (x-2) + 5\)?

y = ax^2 + bx + c
Also, since vertex which also has the equation of \(\displaystyle x = -b/2a\), would I need to know what b and a are? How do I figure this out?

Jaskaran said:
The generation equation for a parabola whose vertex is (h,k) is \(\displaystyle f(x)=a\cdot (x-h)^2+k\)

I know what h and k are, so I get \(\displaystyle f(x)=a(x-2)^2+5\)

My question is, is the y intercept the y-value in this case? So would I get \(\displaystyle 1 = a(0-2)^2 + 5\)

Now find 'a'

?
posting.php?mode=quote&f=9&p=123674#
y = ax^2 + bx + c
Also, since vertex which also has the equation of \(\displaystyle x = -b/2a\), would I need to know what b and a are? How do I figure this out?

Hello, Jaskaran!

Did your teacher tell you that the only way to get a "1" is to divide?

Sometimes we cannot avoid fractions, but we can minimize their occurance.

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccc}3x + 2y - 5z &=& 17 \\ 2x - 3y +2z &=& \text{-}8 \\ 4x +5y - 3z &=& 20 \end{array}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{We have: }\;\left[\begin{array}{ccc|c} 3 & 2 & \text{-}5 & 17 \\ 2 & \text{-}3 & 2 & -8 \\ 4 & 5 & \text{-}3 & 20 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}R_1-R_2 \\ \\ \\ \end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 5 & \text{-}7 & 25 \\ 2 & \text{-}3 & 2 & \text{-}8 \\ 4 & 5 & \text{-}3 & 20 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c} \\ R_2-2R_1 \\ R_3-4R_1\end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 5 & \text{-}7 & 25 \\ 0 & \text{-}13 & 16 & \text{-}58 \\ 0 & \text{-}15 & 25 & \text{-}80 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c} \\ R_2-R_3 \\ \\ \end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1& 5 & \text{-}7 & 25 \\ 0 & 2 & \text{-}9 & 22 \\ 0 & \text{-}15 & 25 & \text{-}80 \end{array}\right]\)

. . . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\\ \frac{1}{2}R_2 \\ \\ \end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c} 1 & 5 & \text{-}7 & 25 \\ 0 & 1 & \text{-}\frac{9}{2} & 11 \\ 0 & \text{-}15 & 25 & \text{-}80 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}R_1-5R_2 \\ \\ \\ R_3 + 15R_2\end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 0 & \frac{31}{2} & \text{-}30 \\ \\[-3mm] 0 & 1 & \text{-}\frac{9}{2} & 11 \\ \\[-3mm] 0 & 0 & \text{-}\frac{85}{2} & 85 \end{array}\right]\)

. . .\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}\\ \\ \text{-}\frac{2}{85}R_3 \end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c} 1 & 0 & \frac{31}{2} & \text{-}30 \\ \\[-3mm] 0 & 1 & \text{-}\frac{9}{2} & 11 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & \text{-}2 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \begin{array}{c}R_1-\frac{31}{2}R_3 \\ R_2 + \frac{9}{2}R_2 \\ \\ \end{array} \left[\begin{array}{ccc|c}1 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & \text{-}2 \end{array}\right]\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Therefore: }\;\begin{Bmatrix}x &=& 1 \\ y &=& 2 \\ z &=& \text{-}2 \end{Bmatrix}\)