Linear regression: Similarities and differences between homoscedasticity test of plain and Student residuals?

DynV

About the following translation on linear regression: What are the similarities and differences between homoscedasticity test of plain and Student residuals? Are they just 2 ways of doing the same technique of linear regression assumption verification, or are they 2 different techniques? If they're different, is there similarities in between, and if so which? The code is in R. There's text after the image. What's below is a translation of the lesson.

We can check the homogeneity of variances and normality using the same tools as for ANOVA.

Code:
by(mfrow = c(1, 2), cex = 1.2)
##homogeneity of variance
plot(residuals(m1) ~ fitted(m1), ylab = "Residuals",
xlab = "Predicted values",
main = "Homogeneity of variances")
##normality
text("a", x= 2.3, y = 0.7, cex = 1.2)
qqnorm(residuals(m1), ylab = “Observed quantiles”,
xlab = "Theoretical quantiles",
main = "Normality of residues")
qqline(residuals(m1))
text("b", x= -1.4, y = 0.7, cex = 1.2)
Figure 3a shows that the variances are homogeneous. Although some residuals deviate from normality (3b), linear regression is appropriate.
tmp129.png
Code:
##checks assumptions
by(mfrow = c(1, 2), cex = 1.2)
plot(rstudent(m.shocks) ~ fitted(m.shocks),
ylab = “Student Residuals”,
xlab = "Predicted values",
main = "Homogeneity of variances")
text(y = 1.5, x = 1.025, labels = "a")
qqnorm(rstudent(m.shocks), ylab = “Observed quantiles”,
xlab = "Theoretical quantiles",
main = "Normality of residues")
qqline(rstudent(m.shocks))
text(y = 1.5, x = -1.9, labels = "b")
The diagnostic plots show that the variances are approximately homogeneous and that the residuals approximately follow a normal distribution (Fig. 8). Since we used Student residuals, we were able to confirm at the same time the absence of extreme values in fig. 8a).

What are the similarities and differences between homoscedasticity test of plain and Student residuals? Are they just 2 ways of doing the same technique of linear regression assumption verification, or are they 2 different techniques? If they're different, is there similarities in between, and if so which?
They differ in how the residuals are computed.
For the "plain", [imath]e_i=y_i-\hat{y}_i[/imath], observed minus prediction.
Whereas the student's residual is [imath]t_i=\dfrac{e_i}{\hat{\sigma}(e_i)}[/imath], where [imath]\hat{\sigma}[/imath] is the estimate of the standard deviation of the i-th residual.

The "plain" residual is straightforward to compute. On the other hand, the student's residual is more robust but expensive to compute.

I mean, is there some direct link between the 2 as in you invert something from the other, make a quadratic function or whichever method? eg method2 = functionX(method1) - functionY(method1) ?

is there some direct link between the 2 as in you invert something from the other
Hi. If you're asking whether ei and ti have an inverse relationship, then the answer is no. To me, it looks like ti is a scaled version of ei.

The verb 'invert' means something else. For example, inverting the ratio a/b yields its reciprocal b/a. :)
[imath]\;[/imath]