Intersecting Offset Lines Length

ADR90

Hey All,

I am currently working on a personal project and I need to figure out how much to either shorten or lengthen the offset lines so they meet where they intersect.

Capture2.PNG

I need to figure out both X and Y, the dimension and angles is what I can get reference to from the software I am writing this script for.

If you need any more information let me know and I will see if I can pull any more data.

Thank you.

Didn't we already do this with a more complicated drawing?

First Impression: There isn't enough information. Especially Y needs more.
Second Impression: Label the POINTS and Intersections so they can be referred to conveniently It is MUCH easier to say "Point A" than it is to say "The point where the upper Y measurement arrow limit intersects the upper X measurement arrow limit."
Third: You can't have nothing. If you went to the trouble to make the drawing, you must have noticed some relationship. Can you label any more Right triangles?

Sorry, don't understand what you are trying to do. Which dimensions are fixed? Which offset lines need to meet? And if they intersect, don't they already meet?

I am currently working on a personal project and I need to figure out how much to either shorten or lengthen the offset lines so they meet where they intersect.

View attachment 24192

I need to figure out both X and Y, the dimension and angles is what I can get reference to from the software I am writing this script for.

If you need any more information let me know and I will see if I can pull any more data.
I'd probably use coordinates. If you take the center of the marked angle as the origin, you can easily find the coordinates of the two right angle vertices, and so on. From there you can use equations of lines, or similar triangles.

Please show what you've tried. And, though I think I understand the picture, an explanation in words can sometimes be worth a thousand pictures!

Hey All,

View attachment 24192

Thank you.
you can do a system of equation not find the intersection, then you can convert the lines to parametric from and the intersection will be your "t"
there a bunch of other ways to do this that are fairly straight forward

Here is a labeled picture:

1609940064863.png

Find the angles in triangles AEB and BFD (easy). Then use basic trig to find AE and EB, subtract to find BF, and use trig or similar triangles to find FD. Then you can find BD and DC as desired.

If you absolutely can't do math and have no desire to learn any, let us know and we can do more for you; but this is simple enough that it's worth learning if you want to do similar projects in the future.