Intermediate Alg Problems

kimbochristos

I have tried to do these but dont understand what there asking me to do so I cant begin to do it..

f 5-2(4x-1)=3x+7, evaluate x^4-x^2 *** (^symbolizes to the power of) Thank you for any help.

Literal equations...

S=1/2(a+b+c);c (geometry)...... can you explain how to do this, I have several similar to this and havent a clue on how to do it. Thank you :)

Sorry. I can't really understand your notation. Check out the links at the top of the page and see how quickly you can pick it up a bit.

kimbochristos said:
I have tried to do these but dont understand what there asking me to do so I cant begin to do it..

f 5-2(4x-1)=3x+7, evaluate x^4-x^2 *** (^symbolizes to the power of) Thank you for any help.

Literal equations...

S=1/2(a+b+c);c (geometry)...... can you explain how to do this, I have several similar to this and havent a clue on how to do it. Thank you :)

I'm going WAY out on a limb here, and GUESSING that your first problem says

If 5 - 2(4x - 1) = 3x + 7, then evaluate x^4 - x^2

So, the first thing you need to do is sove the equation for x.

Multiply both terms inside the parentheses by -2:

5 - 8x + 2 = 3x + 7

Combine like terms on the left side:

-8x + 7 = 3x + 7

Now....finish solving for x. When you have the value of x, substitute into x^4 - x^2, and do the arithmetic.

For your second problem, multiply both sides of the equation by 2 to eliminate the fraction:

S = (1/2)(a + b + c)
2*S = 2*(1/2)*(a + b + c)

2S = a + b + c

and continue.....

Huh. I hadn't noticed that those menues had gone missing, either.... :oops:

For formatting information, follow the two links in the "Read Before Posting" thread. :wink: