Hyperbolic function

Agent Smith

Which is correct
1. \(\displaystyle \cosh x = \frac{e^x + e^{-x}}{2}\)

or

2. \(\displaystyle \cosh x := \frac{e^x + e^{-x}}{2}\)

Thank you

All I know is \(\displaystyle :=\) means "is defined as" and \(\displaystyle =\) means "is equal to".
So, you're asking whether that formula is the definition, or a result of some other definition?

That depends on what you use as the definition! Did you try looking it up?

You'll see that you can start with various definitions, that formula being one of them. So your question is moot. The answer is, it can be, or not.

So, you're asking whether that formula is the definition, or a result of some other definition?

That depends on what you use as the definition! Did you try looking it up?

You'll see that you can start with various definitions, that formula being one of them. So your question is moot. The answer is, it can be, or not.
In natural language we use ":=" to (re)define a (new/old) word/symbol. E.g. from now on "xt" means "the wolf without a tail" i.e. \(\displaystyle \text{xt}:= \text{wolf without a tail}\). Then you know that when I write "xt ate the old man", I mean the wolf without a tail ate the old man. My hunch is that it's a part of a given \(\displaystyle \mathbb{D}\) (domain of discourse), in which you want to use a special word/symbol to mean something specific for as long as we're within \(\displaystyle \mathbb{D}\).

\(\displaystyle \cosh\) is just a group of symbols and is being defined as \(\displaystyle \frac{e^x + e^{-x}}{2}\)