How to tell graph immediately by looking at the function?

Nathalie

How do you tell what type or an estimation of how the graph will look like by just looking at the function? (without having to make a table)

What keyword should I put in in order to look up information for that type of information?

I am not looking about simply equation just like y = x or something like that... but more like functions like... (x^2 - 1) / x -1 etc. Some people can tell right away how the graph looks like and can make a sketch immediately :/ what lesson am I missing?

Please help, thanks in advance.

P.S. I don't have my textbook with me since it is in other state so I can't even look it up >_< but I need to know it to prepare for my quiz.

Nathalie said:
How do you tell what type or an estimation of how the graph will look like by just looking at the function? (without having to make a table)

By memorizing the graph of each of the basic functions, followed by performing transformations.

What keyword should I put in in order to look up information for that type of information?

Try "transformations of graphs"

I am not looking about simply equation just like y = x or something like that... but more like functions like... (x^2 - 1) / x -1 etc. Some people can tell right away how the graph looks like and can make a sketch immediately :/ what lesson am I missing? About two weeks of instruction, I think.

Please help, thanks in advance.

P.S. I don't have my textbook with me since it is in other state so I can't even look it up >_< but I need to know it to prepare for my quiz.

A graphing calculator is an excellent tool for quickly evaluating how a graph behaves