Help with two problems

Solve for t : \(\displaystyle t - \frac{1}{6} - \frac{5}{t} = \frac{13}{3t}\) . . .

\(\displaystyle \frac{6t}{6} - \frac{1}{6} - \frac{5}{t} = \frac{13}{3t}\) . . .

\(\displaystyle \frac{6t-1}{6} - \frac{5}{t} = \frac{13}{3t}\)

m.zeamorrison said:
(1 - t)/6 - 5/t = 13/3t

Your typing means the following.

\(\displaystyle \frac{1 \;-\; t}{6} \;-\; \frac{5}{t} \;=\; \frac{13}{3} \cdot t\)

Is this what you're trying to type?

Perhaps, you're trying to state the following, instead.

\(\displaystyle \frac{1 \;-\; t}{6} \;-\; \frac{5}{t} \;=\; \frac{13}{3t}\)

If so, then use grouping symbols to clearly show what goes in numerators versus denominators.

(1 - t)/6 - 5/t = 13/(3t)

You can GO HERE to learn how to properly type mathematical expressions. 8-)

Ok one last try, before i quit

(1-t)/6 -1/5 = 13/(3t) solve for t

Ok I think I have it typed right.

m.zeamorrison said:
… one last try, before i quit … Why be a quitter? :? It's not a big deal.

(1) Clear all of the fractions in one step by multiplying both sides by 6t

(2) Use the Distributive Property to expand t(1 - t)

(3) Move all terms to one side, with zero on the other side

(4) Solve the resulting quadratic equation

In the future, please show whatever work you can, explain what you're thinking, or ask specific questions. When we don't know why you're stuck, it's hard to determine what help to provide. 8-)

m.zeamorrison said:
(1 - t)/6 - 1/5 = 13/(3t) solve for t

Oh, wait!

You changed 5/t to 1/5.

Did you mean to do that? :?

If so, then start by multiplying both sides by 30t, instead of 6t.

Thank you.

ok so here are the steps I have done. I like to make sure I have the right answer

(t-1)/6 - 5/t = 13/(3t)

I multplied both sides by 6t and got the following

t(t-1) - 30 = 26

t[sup:1gpdymmc]2[/sup:1gpdymmc] - t - 30 - 26 = 0

t[sup:1gpdymmc]2[/sup:1gpdymmc] - t - 56 = 0

(t-8)(t+7) = 0

t = 8 and t = -7

m.zeamorrison said:
(t - 1)/6 - 5/t = 13/(3t)

Good grief!

Now you've changed 1 - t to t - 1.

I have NO IDEA which of the four versions that you've posted so far is the actual equation, in this exercise!

I'm sorry. I am a little flustered with having to figure out how to type the equation properly so that everyone understands it. I am also a little flustered because I am taking 14 credits this semester and am working all of my homework. So excuse me for accidently reversing some stuff.

this is the equation. Are the answers right? is my work toward the answers right?

m.zeamorrison said:
I'm sorry. I am a little flustered with having to figure out how to type the equation properly so that everyone understands it. I am also a little flustered because I am taking 14 credits this semester and am working all of my homework. So excuse me for accidently reversing some stuff.

this is the equation. Are the answers right? is my work toward the answers right?

You can and SHOULD check your own answers.

Substitute your answers, one at a time, for the variable in the original equation (I guess you know which one that is). If the equation is true for the value you used, then that value is a solution for the equation.

m.zeamorrison said:
… excuse me for accidently reversing some stuff … There is a [Preview] button to the left of the [Submit] button. Use it first, for proofreading. 8-)

… Are the answers right? is my work toward the answers right?

Yes, your work and results look good, to me.

Except, we don't use the word "and" when reporting two solutions because "and" actually means 8 and -7 simultaneously, which is impossible.

x = 8 or x = -7

Mrs Pi's suggestion to substitute these values (separately) into the original equation, followed by doing the arithmetic on each side, to confirm that they each lead to a true statement, is good practice.

Cheers ~ Mark