Harmonizing Classification and Regression

Metronome

I have recently been encountering explanations of classification and regression which start with discrete label values as defining the former and continuous label values as defining the latter. I have always conceived of the difference as being defined by fundamentally different geometries (in [imath]\mathbb{R}^2[/imath] for example, separating the datapoints with curves is classification and best fitting the datapoints with a curve is regression)?

Do these two characterizations of the difference between classification and regression follow from each other? The geometry of multiclass classification in [imath]\mathbb{R}^2[/imath] consists in adding additional curves which further separate the data. Since a continuous interval can be thought of as a limiting case of recursively subdividing discrete buckets within the interval, is it possible to think of curve fitting as a limiting case of adding more and more separating curves to generalize the two concepts?

is it possible to think of curve fitting as a limiting case of adding more and more separating curves to generalize the two concepts?
It is, but what's the utility of this interpretation? Do you have some practical scheme in mind?

It is, but what's the utility of this interpretation? Do you have some practical scheme in mind?
Not really. Chasing down answers to arbitrary questions I think of and focusing on bridging related concepts just seem to be some of the ways I internalize math. I'm often reminded of a quote by Charlie Munger from A Lesson on Elementary Worldly Wisdom as It Relates to Investment Management and Business...
Well, the first rule is that you can't really know anything if you just remember isolated facts and try and bang 'em back. If the facts don't hang together on a latticework of theory, you don't have them in a usable form. You've got to have models in your head. And you've got to array your experience – both vicarious and direct – on this latticework of models. You may have noticed students who just try to remember and pound back what is remembered. Well, they fail in school and fail in life. You've got to hang experience on a latticework of models in your head.
I view generalizing multiple concepts as strengthening the latticework.