Functions and Transcendental Numbers

Agent Smith

How can any function be continuous if there exist nonalgebraic numbers (transcendental?) in any given interval?

Write an example.
You made me check. The Wikipage lists \(\displaystyle \pi\) and \(\displaystyle e\) as transcendental numbers. So, first I apologize for not doing my homework, and the follow up question then must be ... are there numbers that are not solutions to any polynomial? I can more easily grasp that the domain of functions are restricted (division by 0), but is it possible that the range is too? Si, there are discontinuous functions, but from the lessons I took, point discontinuities always have a handy continuous function to replace them to find limits. I mean range restriction for any and all functions (these maybe between numbers or at either extremes of the number line).

You made me check. The Wikipage lists \(\displaystyle \pi\) and \(\displaystyle e\) as transcendental numbers. So, first I apologize for not doing my homework, and the follow up question then must be ... are there numbers that are not solutions to any polynomial? I can more easily grasp that the domain of functions are restricted (division by 0), but is it possible that the range is too? Si, there are discontinuous functions, but from the lessons I took, point discontinuities always have a handy continuous function to replace them to find limits. I mean range restriction for any and all functions (these maybe between numbers or at either extremes of the number line).
First, do you consider [imath]\pi[/imath] and [imath]e[/imath] as real numbers? Second, what is the definition of a continuous function?

but from the lessons I took, point discontinuities always have a handy continuous function to replace them to find limits.
Really ? How would it work for this function:
[math]f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \text{if} & x\in \mathbb Q \\ 0 & \text{if} & x \notin \mathbb Q \end{cases}[/math]where [imath]\mathbb Q[/imath] is a set of all rational numbers?

First, do you consider [imath]\pi[/imath] and [imath]e[/imath] as real numbers? Second, what is the definition of a continuous function?
Yes, \(\displaystyle \pi\) and \(\displaystyle e\) are real numbers. A function f(x) is continuous over an interval [a, b] IFF for any point p in that interval \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \lim_{x \to p^-} f(x) = \lim_{x \to p^+} f(x) = f(p)\)??

Do you mean polynomials with rational coefficients ? Algebraic coefficients?
Now that I think of it, yeah, (per Wiki) a polynomial with rational coefficients will never have as its output \(\displaystyle \pi\) or \(\displaystyle e\) (assuming I understood what transcendental numbers are) i.e. there's a discontinuity in the function, which could be remedied by using a substitute, another polynomial with irrational (?) coefficients. Is that ever done?

Really ? How would it work for this function:
[math]f(x) = \begin{cases} 1 & \text{if} & x\in \mathbb Q \\ 0 & \text{if} & x \notin \mathbb Q \end{cases}[/math]where [imath]\mathbb Q[/imath] is a set of all rational numbers?
I guess not all functions can be fixed in the way I described.

Now that I think of it, yeah, (per Wiki) a polynomial with rational coefficients will never have as its output \(\displaystyle \pi\) or \(\displaystyle e\) (assuming I understood what transcendental numbers are) i.e. there's a discontinuity in the function, which could be remedied by using a substitute, another polynomial with irrational (?) coefficients. Is that ever done?
No, you have it backwards. It is not that the output can't be say e, but rather that p(e) = 0 is not possible. Note that the input is e and the output is 0.

What @blamocur questioned you about is quite important. After all, if p(x) = x-e, then yes e is a root. So e is NOT transcendental? No, not at all.
A number t is said to transcendental if no polynomial with rational coefficients can have t as a root.
Personally, I prefer to state that t is said to transcendental if no polynomial with integer coefficients can have t as a root.

No, you have it backwards. It is not that the output can't be say e, but rather that p(e) = 0 is not possible. Note that the input is e and the output is 0.

What @blamocur questioned you about is quite important. After all, if p(x) = x-e, then yes e is a root. So e is NOT transcendental? No, not at all.
A number t is said to transcendental if no polynomial with rational coefficients can have t as a root.
Personally, I prefer to state that t is said to transcendental if no polynomial with integer coefficients can have t as a root.
Gracias for the clarification. I do have it backwards. 😊
Transcendental numbers can't be roots of polynomials with rational coefficients. Good example 👉 f(x) = (x - e)(x - \(\displaystyle \pi\)). 👍

So my question is, are there numbers that never appear in the range of any function, whatsoever?

Perhaps I should bring up applied math. Let's talk physics, with functions describing flight, fluid dynamics, nuclear reactions, etc. If it's possible to plot all of these functions (laws of nature) on a single graph, will every point in the cartesian plane be "touched" i.e. all points are input-output pairs to at least one of the functions, or will there be gaps/pockets of "white space". For example take any object and plot its speed, a function, f, of time, t, and distance covered, d. We know that [imath]f(t, d) < 186000 \text{ miles per second}[/imath] (the speed of light).

We probably need to state up front that we're using a set of rational units, Je ne sais pas 🤔. @Steven G

Last edited:
A quick question, @Steven G ... and @Otis
If I wanted to color/fill a given section of a plane as "efficiently" as possible with just [imath]1[/imath] function, would that function be some kinda spiral?

In the old days when we had those big, bulky TV sets with a CRT inside it, what was the function for the electron beam's path? I know, cogito I know, there's only 1 stream of electrons, zipping across the screen so fast that it creates an illusion that the entire screen is lit up all at once.

A quick question, @Steven G ... and @Otis
If I wanted to color/fill a given section of a plane as "efficiently" as possible with just [imath]1[/imath] function, would that function be some kinda spiral?
Can you define efficiently a little bit? I'm not sure how the color is being added.

Can you define efficiently a little bit? I'm not sure how the color is being added.
As you draw, you fill in the space. Efficiently as in maximize, for a given section of the Cartesian plane, the area covered by the function.

Hello there,

A function's continuity is not affected by the presence of transcendental numbers in an interval. Here’s why:

Key Points:

1. Continuity Definition:
  • A function f(x) is continuous at a point a if lim(x -> a) f(x) = f(a). This holds regardless of the types of numbers.
2. Transcendental Numbers:
  • These are just numbers that aren’t roots of any polynomial with rational coefficients. Examples include π and e.
3. Dense Subsets:
  • Both rational and transcendental numbers are densely packed in the real numbers, but this doesn’t affect continuity.
Conclusion:

Continuity depends on how the function behaves as it approaches any point, not on the specific type of numbers. Therefore, a function can be continuous on an interval despite the presence of transcendental numbers.

Hope this helps!