Finding water volume in an inclined cylinder

U123ui

how to find the volume of water in an inclined cylinder?

IMG_20240707_131033.jpg

Last edited:

how to find the volume of water in an inclined cylinder?
There are several ways you could do it, including calculus; but the easier way is a sort of symmetry argument.

Imagine making two of these (not of water, unless you freeze it), and trying to fit them together. What shape will it be, and how long?

Or you could imagine standing it upright, and what the water would do.

In any case, there's a little trig to do once you have the basic idea.

Or maybe you've been taught something specific about it; we can't tell, since you didn't follow the rules by showing what you know.

@DrPeterson, I have an idea but I am not sure if it is valid. Well first I thought to use calculus, but then I discovered that this problem is simpler than that approach. I am thinking in dividing the cylinder into two parts. One is fully filled with water while the second is half filled, then it is easy to find the whole volume of water. I still did not take the problem seriously, but I think it is not difficult to find the height of the first cylinder.

Last edited:
@DrPeterson, I have an idea but I am not sure if it is valid. Well first I thought to use calculus, but then I discovered that this problem is simpler than that approach. I am thinking in dividing the cylinder into two parts. One is fully filled with water while the second is half filled, then it is easy to find the whole volume of water. I still did not take the problem seriously, but I think it is not difficult to find the height of the first cylinder.
Yes, what you describe sounds like an alternative version of my hint. One word you used is the key. But I won't say more until we see what the OP thinks of.