Family of Real Numbers

mathdad

I decided to place all he member of the real numbers family into a rectangle divides into two parts to help me remember the data.
Please, let me know if my rectangle is correct or not. See attachment.

Attachments

• 20240901_003640.jpg
    20240901_003640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
What are "Whole numbers" ?
A whole number is a number without fractions, like integers, for examples. I can also say that every whole number can be expressed as a fraction.

Samples

2 = 2/1

4 = 4/1

6 = 6/1, etc...............

A whole number is a number without fractions, like integers, for examples. I can also say that every whole number can be expressed as a fraction.

Samples

2 = 2/1

4 = 4/1

6 = 6/1, etc...............
The trouble here is that "whole number" is not a universally agreed term. Sometimes it means "non-negative integer", and sometimes "positive integer" (and sometimes even "any integer"). In fact, the same is true of "natural number".
It's clear that your definitions agree with books I've taught from: Whole includes zero, while natural does not. Again, this is not what all mathematicians would say.

The trouble here is that "whole number" is not a universally agreed term. Sometimes it means "non-negative integer", and sometimes "positive integer" (and sometimes even "any integer"). In fact, the same is true of "natural number".
It's clear that your definitions agree with books I've taught from: Whole includes zero, while natural does not. Again, this is not what all mathematicians would say.
Interesting information. What are your thoughts on counting numbers? My textbooks equate counting numbers to natural numbers.