Division

mathdad

Is division commutative?

Is division associative?

Support your conclusion with an example for each.

I read this many times. My questions do not break the site's rules in terms of posting. You are the only one complaining about this nonsense.

I read this many times. My questions do not break the site's rules in terms of posting. You are the only one complaining about this nonsense.

Apparently you keep missing this part:

Show your beginning work, or ask a specific question about the exercise, or explain why you're stuck. Don't worry that your work might be wrong; learning is a process of making mistakes. We'd like to check your efforts so far or read what you've been thinking or getting confused about (especially if you're not able to start). If you show no work at all, tutors may assume that you need lessons instead of online tutoring or they might think you're looking for somebody to do your homework. Even if you're asking about only the very end of the solution process, please include your intermediate steps. Errors may have occurred earlier than you realize; for example, correcting part (b) may clear up your confusion on part (d).

The only reason I'm not complaining is that I choose not to engage you except on suitable questions.

In what way does posting a question like this (whether homework or not), with no indication of your own thoughts, satisfy the rules?

Show your beginning work, or ask a specific question about the exercise, or explain why you're stuck. Don't worry that your work might be wrong; learning is a process of making mistakes. We'd like to check your efforts so far or read what you've been thinking or getting confused about (especially if you're not able to start). If you show no work at all, tutors may assume that you need lessons instead of online tutoring or they might think you're looking for somebody to do your homework.​

Why can't you, say, search for answers, and then start a discussion by asking about particular points you are unsure of or disagree with? It is a waste of our time to ask unnecessary questions that a search can answer perfectly well. (And that you would do better just trying to find examples for yourself.)

Now, if you want an extended discussion that digs into some details, here's one from me: Why Properties Matter: Beyond Addition and Multiplication. That might even have shown up on a search. But the point of this site is to discuss details with you, which means you need to express your own ideas to start it.

@blamocur: @mathdad has a long history of this sort of behavior (and worse), under this and other names. I'm hoping for the best this time around, but that will require us to exercise discipline (as you are showing) in order to train him.

Apparently you keep missing this part:

Show your beginning work, or ask a specific question about the exercise, or explain why you're stuck. Don't worry that your work might be wrong; learning is a process of making mistakes. We'd like to check your efforts so far or read what you've been thinking or getting confused about (especially if you're not able to start). If you show no work at all, tutors may assume that you need lessons instead of online tutoring or they might think you're looking for somebody to do your homework. Even if you're asking about only the very end of the solution process, please include your intermediate steps. Errors may have occurred earlier than you realize; for example, correcting part (b) may clear up your confusion on part (d).
1. I show my work and/or effort when the question makes sense to me. Otherwise, I need a boost or hint. Have I not been showing my effort? You are looking to argue, which I will not entertain.

2. I have said a million times but here it is again. I am not solving homework problems at 59 years old. My school days ended in December 1993 at Lehman College.

3. I am revisiting math courses taken back in the 80s and 90s.

4. I hope this is clear. If I get stuck somewhere, I will point that out.

5 If my questions are annoying at this point, please ignore my posts. It's the best way for me to say it.

The only reason I'm not complaining is that I choose not to engage you except on suitable questions.

In what way does posting a question like this (whether homework or not), with no indication of your own thoughts, satisfy the rules?

Show your beginning work, or ask a specific question about the exercise, or explain why you're stuck. Don't worry that your work might be wrong; learning is a process of making mistakes. We'd like to check your efforts so far or read what you've been thinking or getting confused about (especially if you're not able to start). If you show no work at all, tutors may assume that you need lessons instead of online tutoring or they might think you're looking for somebody to do your homework.​

Why can't you, say, search for answers, and then start a discussion by asking about particular points you are unsure of or disagree with? It is a waste of our time to ask unnecessary questions that a search can answer perfectly well. (And that you would do better just trying to find examples for yourself.)

Now, if you want an extended discussion that digs into some details, here's one from me: Why Properties Matter: Beyond Addition and Multiplication. That might even have shown up on a search. But the point of this site is to discuss details with you, which means you need to express your own ideas to start it.

@blamocur: @mathdad has a long history of this sort of behavior (and worse), under this and other names. I'm hoping for the best this time around, but that will require us to exercise discipline (as you are showing) in order to train him.
Now you are also attacking me.
1. I show my work and/or effort when the question makes sense to me. Otherwise, I need a boost or hint. Have I not been showing my effort?

2. I have said a million times but here it is again. I am not solving homework problems at 59 years old. My school days ended in December 1993 at Lehman College.

3. I am revisiting math courses taken back in the 80s and 90s.

4. I hope this is clear. If I get stuck somewhere, I will point that out.

I have said a million times but here it is again. I am not solving homework problems at 59 years old.
I know you have. Which is why I said,
(whether homework or not)
Regardless of the context, the way to learn here, as it says, is to show whatever you can do, and if you can do nothing, tell us where your difficulty is, so we can talk about that. You have done nothing of the sort in this post, which is all I am talking about at the moment.
If I get stuck somewhere, I will point that out.
And as soon as you do that, I'll reply! Just respond by doing what we've asked, rather than complaining, and we can have a good discussion.

None of what I said is an attack. Please read it from that perspective, and try to learn from it. I look forward to seeing that happen.

But for now, I'm disengaged.

I know you have. Which is why I said,

Regardless of the context, the way to learn here, as it says, is to show whatever you can do, and if you can do nothing, tell us where your difficulty is, so we can talk about that. You have done nothing of the sort in this post, which is all I am talking about at the moment.

And as soon as you do that, I'll reply! Just respond by doing what we've asked, rather than complaining, and we can have a good discussion.

None of what I said is an attack. Please read it from that perspective, and try to learn from it. I look forward to seeing that happen.

But for now, I'm disengaged.
I had no idea that a former or current math professor can be so complicated over nonsense. It makes me wonder how you treated your students and your colleagues. You see, a degree at any level does not change who we are.

Education is needed in this world but it doesn't change our character. In fact, the more we think we know, the more cocky we become. My questions here is no reason for debate or senseless arguments.

I do my part. Another thing is showing my work incorrectly. This is also an incentive for someone to pick a fight. I cannot win either way.

This is a math site. I returned here because, as you know, FB math groups have replaced math forums across the board. I expect to find members in a MATH GROUP or MATH WEBSITE that are enthusiastically passionate about mathematics but I am wrong.

I was told to avoid religious and political threads because people in today's run amok society are overly sensitive about anything they don't like, don't understand, and consider a threat. So, I stopped doing that with the exception of Mario the other day. I don't interact with people that I suspect support the far left regime.

So, what is my next step? I don't know, really. No matter what I say, no matter what the question is, simple or not simple, at least one member has a problem. I always remind members in math forums to please skip my threads if they are annoying.

I am using the word annoying because I can't think of anything else. It's all sad, very sad to know that people in a MATH FORUM despise math questions from a person who simply wants to revisit courses taken more than 2 decades ago. It's very sad and pathetic.