Distance of Ship From Shore

mathdad

Use the fact that the radius of Earth is 3960 miles and 1 mile is 5280 feet.

A person who is 6 feet tall is standing on a beach in Florida, and looks out on the Atlantic Ocean, suddenly, a ship appears on the horizon. How far is the ship from shore?

Someone suggested to use the following set up:

Let d = distance of ship from shore.

Let r = radius of Earrh

Let m = distance of a mile in feet.

Let h = height of the observation deck above ground level.

d^2 + r^2 = [(r + (h/m)]^2

You say?

Use the fact that the radius of Earth is 3960 miles and 1 mile is 5280 feet.

A person who is 6 feet tall is standing on a beach in Florida, and looks out on the Atlantic Ocean, suddenly, a ship appears on the horizon. How far is the ship from shore?

Someone suggested to use the following set up:

Let d = distance of ship from shore.

Let r = radius of Earrh

Let m = distance of a mile in feet.

Let h = height of the observation deck above ground level.

d^2 + r^2 = [(r + (h/m)]^2

You say?
I suggest you continue the discussion with the person who suggested this, rather than moving it here. It isn't at all clear how much of this you understand, and would be able to come up with yourself. That's what we want to know in order to help a student. (Yes, you are a student -- someone who is studying -- even though you aren't in school.)

But pretending this is your own work, there are some things to fix before anyone can call it correct:
  • State the units for each variable.
  • Define "observation deck".
  • Define what it means for a ship to "appear on the horizon": What do you need to be able to see?
  • Consider why you haven't use the 6-foot height in the calculation.
A picture would be helpful.

I suggest you continue the discussion with the person who suggested this, rather than moving it here. It isn't at all clear how much of this you understand, and would be able to come up with yourself. That's what we want to know in order to help a student. (Yes, you are a student -- someone who is studying -- even though you aren't in school.)

But pretending this is your own work, there are some things to fix before anyone can call it correct:
  • State the units for each variable.
  • Define "observation deck".
  • Define what it means for a ship to "appear on the horizon": What do you need to be able to see?
  • Consider why you haven't use the 6-foot height in the calculation.
A picture would be helpful.
I don't pretend the questions are mine. I don't pretend anything is mine unless it is clearly stated. When someone else lends a helping hand, I always give credit to the other person(s). The fact that you have maintained professionalism in all your replies means the world to me.

I don't pretend the questions are mine. I don't pretend anything is mine unless it is clearly stated.
You misunderstand what I said. I said, let's pretend that you wrote this, and answer as I would in that case. I'm pretending, not you!

But then I asked you to respond. Please do so! (Or ask the author on the other site, and then keep the discussion there.)

I hope you recognize the (too?) gentle rebuke in my first paragraph. If you've asked a question on one site, please keep it on that site, rather than bringing us into it. That feels like a waste of our time.

You misunderstand what I said. I said, let's pretend that you wrote this, and answer as I would in that case. I'm pretending, not you!

But then I asked you to respond. Please do so! (Or ask the author on the other site, and then keep the discussion there.)

I hope you recognize the (too?) gentle rebuke in my first paragraph. If you've asked a question on one site, please keep it on that site, rather than bringing us into it. That feels like a waste of our time.
I enjoy your professionalism and style. There're people here who want me to keep quiet when insults are hurled my way. It is against my person to stay shut when idiots who know nothing about me think they can dictate what I should or should not post here.

I returned to math. This is what I have been doing. Some of these guys in here have a ****** between their legs. They are ugly mean and it's proven when they easily get offended. My message is clear to everyone.

IF MY CONTENT IS OFFENSIVE OR RETARDED OR WHATEVER, THEY CAN FEEL FREE TO IGNORE (NEW WORD FOR THIS GENERATION OF RUN AMOK ROBOTS) MY THREADS. How easy is that? Really, how easy is it to ignore content from people we dislike?

If I get banned, so be it. In my personal opinion, (there's another word the far left greatly abhors), defending oneself is not a call for the guillotine. I like A and they like B. Call it a day.

You see, it seems that people dislike me for reasons other than math threads. If I don't tickle their fancy, then I am a racist or someone boiling the pot. It is what it is. It amazes me that the idiots looking to cut off my head with the national razor are brainwashed aliens seeking to divide and conquer. I cannot be divided.

These people are cowards in my opinion. They would never dare say half the garbage they say to me here in person. I don't play games. I am former Navy. I don't wear a skirt.

And now I am joining the call for banning. This is not what the site is for. Clearly you are not here for math.

If you want others to ignore your misbehavior, then you need to learn to control your own reactions. I've tried to give you grace, giving you a chance to grow up, but you haven't. Bye.

And now I am joining the call for banning. This is not what the site is for. Clearly you are not here for math.

If you want others to ignore your misbehavior, then you need to learn to control your own reactions. I've tried to give you grace, giving you a chance to grow up, but you haven't. Bye.
You are joining the ban wagon? Don't worry. I am leaving. GFY!!!!

Please harpazo, don't leave now! Stay one more week as I have not yet enjoyed. I know that everyone in here is acting against you, but what you did in the last few days was very normal. Every month, we get a mentally retarded person in this site. You were just the first returned one in the history of the forum. And since you are a loser, losers don't lose more than what they have already lost, so please, post 1000 questions before leaving. I promise you that I will read all of them.

I enjoy your professionalism and style. There're people here who want me to keep quiet when insults are hurled my way. It is against my person to stay shut when idiots who know nothing about me think they can dictate what I should or should not post here.

I returned to math. This is what I have been doing. Some of these guys in here have a ****** between their legs. They are ugly mean and it's proven when they easily get offended. My message is clear to everyone.

IF MY CONTENT IS OFFENSIVE OR RETARDED OR WHATEVER, THEY CAN FEEL FREE TO IGNORE (NEW WORD FOR THIS GENERATION OF RUN AMOK ROBOTS) MY THREADS. How easy is that? Really, how easy is it to ignore content from people we dislike?

If I get banned, so be it. In my personal opinion, (there's another word the far left greatly abhors), defending oneself is not a call for the guillotine. I like A and they like B. Call it a day.

You see, it seems that people dislike me for reasons other than math threads. If I don't tickle their fancy, then I am a racist or someone boiling the pot. It is what it is. It amazes me that the idiots looking to cut off my head with the national razor are brainwashed aliens seeking to divide and conquer. I cannot be divided.

These people are cowards in my opinion. They would never dare say half the garbage they say to me here in person. I don't play games. I am former Navy. I don't wear a skirt.
You were so stupid to write this because they wanted you to write it. The rat trap worked perfectly on you. So, you proved perfectly that you are a troll. And you just let them win easily.

I will miss you in the next five years. See you in 2029.

Bye harpazooooO.

🥹

Last edited: