Differential equation: dy/dx + 3x^2 y = 6x^2 (2nd stage?)

roshan2004

After multiplying the given differential equation by its integrating factor we get the first step,but I simply couldnot understand the second stage,pls explain it to me. The question and the steps are given on the attachment.

Attachments

• differential[1].JPG
    differential[1].JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 442
Re: Differential equation

roshan2004 said:
After multiplying the given differential equation by its integrating factor we get the first step,but I simply couldnot understand the second stage,pls explain it to me.
The question and the steps are given on the attachment.

The choice of integrating factor is made in such a way that - you get LHS as a "product function"

Differentiate LHS to see how it is equal to the line above.

Hello, roshan2004!

Evidently, you don't understand the purpose of an integrating factor.

\(\displaystyle \text{Given: }\:\frac{dy}{dx} + P(x)\!\cdot\!y \:=\:Q(x)\)

\(\displaystyle \text{The integrating factor is: }\:I \;=\;e^{\int P(x)\,dx}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Multiply through by }I\!:\quad \underbrace{I\!\cdot\!\frac{dy}{dx} + I\!\cdot\!P(x)\!\cdot\!y}_{\text{derivative of }I\cdot y} \;=\;I\!\cdot\! Q(x)\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{The left side is }always\text{ the derivative of }I\cdot y\)

\(\displaystyle \text{So we have: }\;\frac{d}{dx}(I\!\cdot\!y) = I\!\cdot\!Q(x)\)

. . \(\displaystyle \text{Then we integrate both sides . . . and solve for }y.\)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

\(\displaystyle \text{We have: }\;\frac{dy}{dx} + 3x^2y \;=\;6x^2\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Then: }\;I \:=\:e^{\int3x^2dx} \:=\:e^{x^3}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Multiply through by }I\!:\quad \underbrace{e^{x^3}\frac{dy}{dx} + 3x^2e^{x^3}y}_{\text{derivative of }e^{x^3}y} \;=\;6x^2e^{x^3}\)

\(\displaystyle \text{So we can write: }\;\frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{x^3}y\right) \;=\;6x^2e^{x^3} \quad\Rightarrow\quad d\left(e^{x^3}y\right) \;=\;6x^2e^{x^3}dx\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Integrate: }\;\underbrace{\int d\left(e^{x^3}y\right)}_{\Downarrow} \;=\;\underbrace{\int 6x^2e^{x^3}dx}_{\Downarrow}\)
. . . . . . . . . . \(\displaystyle e^{x^3}y \qquad=\qquad 2e^{x^3} + C\)

\(\displaystyle \text{Divide by }e^{x^3}\:\quad\boxed{ y \;=\;2 + Ce^{\text{-}x^3}}\)