Brain teaser

elioruzan

Hi,
I stumbled upon this question on Facebook and I tried to solve it unsuccessfully.
I saw in the comments people talking about symmetry in their solutions but I didn't understand them.
To me it seems there is insufficient info because the heights and widths of A and B share constraints, but there are still 2 variables.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20241021_223854.jpg
    IMG_20241021_223854.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
Not sure which symmetry they had in mind... I would try the following approach:
Pick an arbitrary height for A, call it h. What's the area of A? Now, what is the maximum area of B? It will be a function of h. What's the total area? Again, this is a function of h. Maximize it.

If you use polar coordinates you will only have two angles as variables and [imath] f(\varphi_a,\varphi_b)=\sin(2\varphi_a)+\sin(2\varphi_b)-2\sin(\varphi_a )\cos(\varphi_b) [/imath] but the solution that WA has found is a bit strange (~78,7%):

Last edited:
Hi,
I stumbled upon this question on Facebook and I tried to solve it unsuccessfully.
I saw in the comments people talking about symmetry in their solutions but I didn't understand them.
To me it seems there is insufficient info because the heights and widths of A and B share constraints, but there are still 2 variables.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You can solve the problem by symmetry or Lagrange multiplier. But I prefer polar coordinate.

Let [imath]A_1[/imath] be the area of the first rectangle and let [imath]A_2[/imath] be the area of the second rectangle.

[imath]A_1 = x_1y_1[/imath]
[imath]A_2 = x_2y_2[/imath]

[imath]x = r\cos\theta[/imath]
[imath]y = r\sin\theta[/imath]

Then

[imath]A_1 = r^2\cos\theta_1\sin\theta_1[/imath]
[imath]A_2 = r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_2[/imath]

Or

[imath]\displaystyle A_1 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_1[/imath]

[imath]\displaystyle A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2[/imath]

[imath]\displaystyle A = A_1 + A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_1 + \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2)[/imath]

Now think about it. To get the maximum area, you want [imath]\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2[/imath] to be maximum.

Also you must have noticed that because of the symmetry of the two rectangles (they have the same area), [imath]\theta_1 = \theta_2[/imath].

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta + \sin2\theta) = r^2\sin2\theta = r^2[/imath]

Finding the angle [imath]\theta[/imath] will help you to find the length of each leg of the rectangle by substituting back in [imath]x[/imath] and [imath]y[/imath].

Where is your negative term? I have
[math]\begin{array}{lll} A&=\sin \varphi_a\cdot \cos \varphi_a\\ B&=\cos \varphi_b \cdot (\sin \varphi_b -\sin \varphi_a)\\ 2A&=2\sin \varphi_a\cdot \cos \varphi_a=\sin(2\varphi_a)\\ 2B&=2\cos \varphi_b \cdot \sin \varphi_b- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a\\ &=\sin(2\varphi_b)- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a\\ 2A&=\sin(2\varphi_b)- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a+\sin(2\varphi_a) \end{array}[/math]and WA says it is [imath] \max \{2A\} \approx 1,23607 \text{ at } (\varphi_a, \varphi_b) \approx (0.553574, 1.01722) [/imath] which covers about [imath] 78.7\% [/imath] of the area.

Where is your negative term? I have
[math]\begin{array}{lll} A&=\sin \varphi_a\cdot \cos \varphi_a\\ B&=\cos \varphi_b \cdot (\sin \varphi_b -\sin \varphi_a)\\ 2A&=2\sin \varphi_a\cdot \cos \varphi_a=\sin(2\varphi_a)\\ 2B&=2\cos \varphi_b \cdot \sin \varphi_b- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a\\ &=\sin(2\varphi_b)- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a\\ 2A&=\sin(2\varphi_b)- 2\cos \varphi_b\sin \varphi_a+\sin(2\varphi_a) \end{array}[/math]and WA says it is [imath] \max \{2A\} \approx 1,23607 \text{ at } (\varphi_a, \varphi_b) \approx (0.553574, 1.01722) [/imath] which covers about [imath] 78.7\% [/imath] of the area.
I apologize. I have just realized that my approach will let the two rectangles overlapping which is wrong!

You can solve the problem by symmetry or Lagrange multiplier. But I prefer polar coordinate.

Let [imath]A_1[/imath] be the area of the first rectangle and let [imath]A_2[/imath] be the area of the second rectangle.

[imath]A_2 = x_2y_2[/imath]

Then

[imath]A_2 = r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_2[/imath]

Or

[imath]\displaystyle A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2[/imath]

[imath]\displaystyle A = A_1 + A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_1 + \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2)[/imath]

Now think about it. To get the maximum area, you want [imath]\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2[/imath] to be maximum.

Also you must have noticed that because of the symmetry of the two rectangles (they have the same area), [imath]\theta_1 = \theta_2[/imath].

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta + \sin2\theta) = r^2\sin2\theta = r^2[/imath]

Finding the angle [imath]\theta[/imath] will help you to find the length of each leg of the rectangle by substituting back in [imath]x[/imath] and [imath]y[/imath].
I will do my calculations again, but this time I will get rid of the overlapping area.

[imath]A_2 = x_2y_2 - x_2y_1[/imath]

g54895599.png

Then

[imath]A_2 = r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_2 - r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1[/imath]

Or

[imath]\displaystyle A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2 - r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1[/imath]

[imath]\displaystyle A = A_1 + A_2 = \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_1 + \frac{r^2}{2}\sin2\theta_2 - r^2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1[/imath]

Now let us assume that the two rectangles are inside a unit circle in the first quadrant.

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2) - \cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1[/imath]

It is not easy to find by hand when [imath]A[/imath] is a maximum, so you will have to use a CAS, W|A, or any other approximation methods.

I get [imath]\theta_1 \approx 0.553574 \ \ \ \ [/imath] and [imath] \ \ \ \ \theta_2 \approx 1.01722[/imath]

So, the maximum area of the two rectangles when [imath]r = 1[/imath] is:

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{1}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2) - \cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1[/imath]

where [imath]\theta_1[/imath] and [imath]\theta_2[/imath] as mentioned above.

Or in general, the maximum area is:

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2 - 2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1)[/imath]

Last edited:
Or in general, the maximum area is:

[imath]\displaystyle A = \frac{r^2}{2}(\sin2\theta_1 + \sin2\theta_2 - 2\cos\theta_2\sin\theta_1)[/imath]
Just to be clear about my last sentence. I meant that this is the general area of the two rectangles (inscribed inside a circle in the first quadrant) and if you want to maximize it, choose a radius and then use a CAS, W|A, or any other approximation method to get the angles.