Simple Equation to everybody but not me

Albertino

I'd appreciate it if tutors could show me the answer of the following equation step by step. Thanks a million!
"An operation is defined as a * b = 3 x a - 5 x b. Find the value of x in 7 * (x * 4) = 1"

I'd appreciate it if tutors could show me the answer of the following equation step by step. Thanks a million!
"An operation is defined as a * b = 3 x a - 5 x b. Find the value of x in 7 * (x * 4) = 1"
First, let's make it a little clearer; it's dangerous to use "x" to mean both multiplication and a variable, as you presumably do. Here is what I think it is:

An operation is defined as [imath]a * b = 3a - 5b[/imath]. Find the value of [imath]x[/imath] in [imath]7 * (x * 4) = 1[/imath].​

What this means is that "*" is the symbol for a made-up operation (not multiplication) that is performed by subtracting 3 times the first operand, minus 5 times the second operand. For example, [imath]2 * 3 = 3(2) - 5(3)=6-15=-9[/imath].

Now you are to find the value(s) of [imath]x[/imath] such that [imath]7 * (x * 4) = 1[/imath].

I can imagine several ways to try to solve [imath]7 * (x * 4) = 1[/imath]; one would be to first solve [imath]7 * y = 1[/imath] for [imath]y[/imath], and then use the result and solve [imath]x * 4 = y[/imath] for [imath]x[/imath]. Another would be to rewrite [imath]7 * (x * 4) = 1[/imath] using the definition twice, and then solve the remaining ordinary equation.

I'm hoping that what I've explained will give you a start, so you can show us what you understand of the problem, and/or what you try in order to take it from where I've left it.

It will also be helpful if you tell us your context: Are you taking a course in which this was taught (what course?), or did you come across the problem outside of what you are learning? The more we know about you, the better we can help you figure it out.

Dear sir,
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm now doing some exercises on a self-study book called Maths Olympiad, from which the question was taken.
And the question was copied as it was, i.e. "a * b = 3 x a - 5 x b".

By the way, is it a typo(Sorry, maybe I'm wrong) in "What this means is that "*" is the symbol for a made-up operation (not multiplication) that is performed by subtracting 3 times the first operand, minus 5 times the second operand." If not, why subtracting 3 times the first operand, minus 5 times the second operand? Thanks again.

Following the advice given above:

Substitute :

Y = x * 4 = 3x - 20 ......... (according definition of '*' provided in the problem statement)

7 * Y = 7 * 3x - 7 * 20 ........( assuming distributive property of '*')

7*Y = ? ...... (finish it and show your work)

By the way, is it a typo(Sorry, maybe I'm wrong) in "What this means is that "*" is the symbol for a made-up operation (not multiplication) that is performed by subtracting 3 times the first operand, minus 5 times the second operand." If not, why subtracting 3 times the first operand, minus 5 times the second operand? Thanks again.
I wrote it a little awkwardly (because subtraction can be awkward); but surely you see that 3a-5b means "3 times a minus 5 times b", and that we are subtracting?

That is, stated a little more normally, we are subtracting 5 times the second from 3 times the first. I wanted to keep the same order, which made it more awkward. (My first attempt was worse: "subtracting from 3 times the first operand, 5 times the second operand.")

Dear sir,
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm now doing some exercises on a self-study book called Maths Olympiad, from which the question was taken.
And the question was copied as it was, i.e. "a * b = 3 x a - 5 x b".
Which means the awkward form that I corrected is their fault, not yours. That's fine; it had to be cleared up either way, and I didn't assign blame.

I am a little surprised that they would do that, even if what they used was [imath]\times[/imath] rather than x; but what can I say? (I won't demand to see a picture of the original.)

Have you worked out the problem yet?

Following the advice given above:

Substitute :

Y = x * 4 = 3x - 20 ......... (according definition of '*' provided in the problem statement)

7 * Y = 7 * 3x - 7 * 20 ........( assuming distributive property of '*')

7*Y = ? ...... (finish it and show your work)
7*(3x-20)=21-5(3x-20)
=21-15x+100
=121-15 x
121-15x=1
15x=120
x=8