2 quick Q's: solve -3<1/x<=1 & find fcn for Norman window

SushiUnlimited

I'm having trouble on my calculus homework. The two question are:
Solve the inequality in terms of intervals: -3<1/x<=1

and

A Norman window has the shape of a rectangle surmounted by a semicircle. If the perimeter of the window is 18 ft, express the area A of the window as a function of the width x of the window.

With this picture: http://www.webassign.net/scalcet7/1-1-062.gif

I don't need a full answer but some hints and a push in the right direction would be nice. My textbook has a answer key that comes with it but it only works out every other problem and these question's textbook counterpart were even numbered.

Let \(\displaystyle y\) be the height of the rectangular part.

The perimeter of the window is:

\(\displaystyle 18 = \underbrace{\frac{1}{2}(2\pi\frac{x}{2})}_{\text{Semi-circle}} + \underbrace{x + 2y}_{\text{Rectangular piece}}\)

The area is:

\(\displaystyle A = \underbrace{\frac{1}{2}\pi \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^2}_{\text{Semi-circle}} + \underbrace{xy}_{\text{Rectangle}}\)

Use the first equation to turn the second into a function of \(\displaystyle x\).

Hello, SushiUnlimited!

\(\displaystyle \text{Solve in terms of intervals: }\:\text{-}3\,<\,\dfrac{1}{x}\,\le\,1\)

The equalities occur when: .\(\displaystyle x \,=\,\text{-}\frac{1}{3}\,\text{ and }\,x = 1\)

The number line is divided into three intervals.

. . \(\displaystyle \begin{array}{ccccc} ---&\circ&---&\bullet & --- \\ & \text{-}\frac{1}{3} && 1 \end{array}\)

Test a value of \(\displaystyle x\) in each interval.

. . \(\displaystyle x = \text{-}2\!:\;\text{-}3 \,<\,\frac{1}{\text{-}2} \,\le\,1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \text{-}3 \,<\,\text{-}\frac{1}{2}\,\le 1 \;\text{ . . . true} \)

. . \(\displaystyle x = \frac{1}{2}\!:\;\text{-}3 \,<\,\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}} \,\le\,1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \text{-}3 \,<\,2 \,\le\,1\;\text{ . . . false}\)

. . \(\displaystyle x = 2\!:\;\text{-}3 \,<\,\frac{1}{2}\,\le\,1 \;\text{ . . . true}\)

Therefore: .\(\displaystyle (\text{-}\infty,\text{-}\frac{1}{3}) \,\cup\,[1,\infty)\)